❲ The Notebooks. ❳

The notebooks were resting on my bed, both on top of each other. I was sitting there with my knees up to my chin, purely not knowing what to do.

My curiosity was at it's peak and I really wanted to read the notebooks, but then again I felt queesy picking them up, almost as if I'm about to throw up..

.. I picked up both of the notebooks and got up myself, throwing both of them on my study table, a cloud of dust coming out of them. I can't, I can't bring myself to open it. And a part of myself didn't know why. I threw myself onto my bed, already exhausted. I didn't even do anything today, and my eyes already burn everytime I close them.

Whose diaries could those be of? Both of them have a similar writing of sorts on the cover. They belong to one person. But it doesn't even say who. Nothing on the front, nor at the back. It was completely anonymous. Whoever it was, it must've been a sort of passed-down treasure from Travis' forefathers or something.

Then why give it to me?

Without even giving any account to that question, I slowly found myself dozing off to sleep. Maybe I can read those tomorrow... or at school...

**

I slowly opened my eyes to see a treehouse infront of me. I didn't recognize it at all, but yet I began walking towards it as if I've been there countless of times.

Climbing up the stairs, I heard faint voices coming from the treehouse. I pushed up the trapdoor and saw two boys, sitting across from each other on the floor. One had long, messy brown hair pulled half up to a bun, while the other had really curly, ginger hair.

Sally! My man!” called out Larry, “Come on dude - Todd found this really cool gadget thingy.” he continued, pointing over to three, identical triangles on the ground.

I climbed in and sat down in between them, so we were all facing towards these random triangles. Suddenly, when I spoke, a higher pitched voice came out rather than my own; “Well, what do they do?”

Todd picked up the triangle after pushing his glasses back, “From what I've studied from them - these serve like a connecting line between the dead and the living. Almost like a sort of portal.. but, it's jammed. It's supposed to have a mechanism to turn it on, but it seems like it works in favorable conditions.”

“So like,” I spoke, “around a dead body or something?”
“Precisely.” Todd replied. “Maybe we can bring a ghost back from the dead. Though it'll destroy it's existence if it were to be used.”

I looked at the other two triangles, picking one of it up to examine it. Todd was right - it seemed like some sort of remote control. It has three buttons on one side of it, yet you can't press it.

“So let's say one of us dies,” Larry chimed in, “we can use this then?”

“Not us necessarily, anyone who we need back. But I still have to do further studying... I'll be keeping it in our little unit in the meantime, until I figure out some sort of theory.” Todd explained before taking all three of the triangles and getting up finally.

His eyes lingered on me for a few moments.

You’re the only one we can depend on now.

**

I woke up the next day to my alarm ringing abnoxiously right next to my ear. I turned it off, looking at the time. I had just gotten up in time to get ready for school.