The Unlucky Leprechaun by Matthew Rue

This is Luke, the leprechaun, he does not care that he is lucky but one day his luck disappears. Luke woke up by falling out of bed. He walked his tired self to the kitchen and reached for his favorite box of Lucky Charms, only to find it empty.  "Oh, come on!" he said. 

 He went to check the pantry, hoping to find another box hidden away, but to his dismay, the pantry was also empty. Because of the lack of food Luke went to the store and on the way he was hit by a pan, a flower pot falls on his head and then he falls down the hill landing in a muddy puddle. His once-green jacket was now stained a miserable brown. Luke ignores this and continues climbing the hill after being attacked by birds, tripping on a rock and falling down the hill again. Finally, makes it to the store's entrance.

After he bought his stuff, Luke decided to go down the hill, but as soon as he put one wheel of his cart out of the store, it started sliding away. Luke tried to catch up with it but the only way he could catch it was by getting on it. The shopping cart of chaos came crashing down destroying anything or anyone trying to go up the hill. The crashing shopping cart sent Luke's groceries flying in every direction, leaving him with no choice but to trudge back to the store and try again.

Luke finally got his groceries. He ate his breakfast, although it is now dinner. After eating his breakfast, Luke decided to ask the elder about his lost luck. The elder said, "Go to the clover field." Shocked Luke said, "But those are fairy grounds, Sir. You can't be serious?" But the elder said, "If you want Luck back that's where you must go." Luke nodded and goes to the clover field.

As he approached the clover field, Luke noticed that the air felt different, almost charged with a mysterious energy. Suddenly, the fairies appear. "I'm just here to get my luck back," Luke said. "You don't deserve your luck,"a fairy told him. "What do you mean my luck?" Luke asked. "We make the luck that you use. You don't care about the gift you were given. So, we took it back," the fairy said. "I'm sorry for giving you trouble. I didn't know how lucky I was until it was gone," Luke said. The fairy looked at Luke thoughtfully, considering his words. 

"Very well," the fairy said, waving a delicate hand. "In order to earn back your luck, you must complete three tasks for us. The fairy's voice was as gentle as the fluttering of a thousand butterfly wings. "First, you must water the entire clover field with the morning dew from the highest mountain. The fairies thought he would lose but they were surprised. Luke did it without a problem. The fairy decided to send him on another quest into a cave where the fairy's wand was stuck. The fairies laughed as he walked in because the cave is a labyrinth, and any normal leprechaun would get stuck.

A few hours later, Luke managed to come out with the wand, much to the astonishment of the fairies. Impressed with his determination, they presented him with the final task. As Luke eagerly awaited his mission the fairy leans in and whispered, "To prove your worthiness, you must retrieve a four-leaf clover for me." The leprechaun's eyes widen at the realization of the final task. Determined, the leprechaun noded and set off on his mission to find the four-leaf clover.

After he got the four-leaf clover the fairy took it, and said, "Now to get your luck back, you must take it from me. The clover is a source of luck. I can't give you it. You have to fight me for it." "You must win in a game of riddles," the fairy challenged with a mischievous twinkle in her eye. Luke's heart pounded as he prepared to engage in a battle of wits with the mischievous fairy. Luke's eyes narrowed in determination as he accepted the challenge, ready to outsmart the fairy and reclaim his luck.

The fairy said, "The first riddle- I may be small but I can carry anything 100 times my size. What am I?" Luke said, with a smile on his face "An ant." "Correct," the fairy said. "The next riddle- I have wings but not I'm not a bird. I may have fur but I'm not a rat. What am I?" Luke said, "A bat." 

The fairy looking frustrated said, the last riddle. "I am black and white. I dig like a mole. I love honey. What am I?" The fairies were thinking "Ha! He can't win this." Luke, with a smile on his face, said, "A badger," The fairy stomped her foot in frustration and conceded defeat. She said, "Well, I guess you deserve this, " and uses the magic of the clover to give him back his luck. "Happily, Luke said, "Thank you!" and left the clover field a better man. The end.