7- "My lady, Məhv Edən is home."

CHAPTER 7

"Hope not ever to see heaven. I have come to lead you to the other shore, into eternal darkness, into fire, and into ice." ~Dante Alighieri

Days had passed since Prisoner 112 had ventured onto the balcony, and she couldn't muster the courage to step outside her room again.

She felt defeated, like something inside her had shattered somehow. Healer Sibyan had promised to visit by the end of the week but still hadn't shown up.

She hoped maybe Sibyan had forgotten about her nameless patient.

Prisoner 112 remained locked inside her room, a sense of resignation crushing her. She stopped working out; what was the point of it anyway?

She ate little, but only when Murata insisted that she would not leave the room until she finished her meal. Most of the time, Prisoner 112 sat by the window, staring at the dreary landscape outside, unable to shake the memory of the vast ocean.

She knew there was no way she would escape her prison alive.

Initially, only the mansion grounds were visible from her bedroom window, leading her to believe she could escape if she put some effort and thought into it.

However, Məhv Edən had planned meticulously. Now, she found herself imprisoned in the heart of the ocean, far from any signs of civilization.

It was a different kind of fear, knowing she was cut off from all other forms of life except Murata. She clenched her teeth in anger at the thought.

Murata is a servant loyal to her master.

Prisoner 112 felt betrayed; she had subconsciously started trusting Murata, charmed by her calm demeanour and her deceptive smile.

Prisoner 112 had allowed herself to falsely believe that Murata was on her side and that she was safe with her.

Time crawled by painfully slowly, and the only sound in her room was the incessant ticking of the clock. It grated on her nerves, like the constant hissing of the Div from the kənara.

She tried blocking it out by resorting to sticking her fingers in her ears, but somehow it only seemed to grow louder.

Frustrated and angry at everything in her life, she hurled the clock against the door, shattering only its outer glass case while the rest of it remained intact.

The steady ticking did not budge. To distract herself, she let her mind wander for hours at a time.

Prisoner 112 scrutinised every inch of the barren grounds visible from her window, devising different escape plans that always ended in her death.

There was not a hedge in sight behind which she could hide if she were trying to flee.

She would lose track of time thinking about things she could not remember later that night.

In the daytime, Prisoner 112 sat by the window, lost in thoughts, only to get startled in the evening when dusk crept upon the grounds, casting shadows that only made her more nervous.

A couple of days later, Murata's sudden announcement of Healer Sibyan's impromptu arrival broke the monotony of Prisoner 112's days.