Chapter 5

Maxine Clark

I put on baggy tan cargo pants with a tight black long sleeve and my converse. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror my hair was long down to my waist, I haven't cut it in I don't even know how long. Truth be told I don't think any of us know how long its been since the world ended. A year? Maybe two. Its getting too long to manage so i put it in two long braids, I look aged, more sad then I used too I miss who I used to be, I miss my friends and my own life, but tonight Alicia wants me to come to bible study again so I'm going to make the most of it.

I walked out of the bathroom. "You ready?" She asked. "Yeah lets go." I smiled. We headed out the front door and said bye to Madison. We walked over to the trap door and climbed down the ladder it reeked on weed down there. "Hey guys!" We greeted everyone and joined the circle.

Toby passed me the large bong. Truth be told i wasn't even a smoked before the apocalypse but i haven't smiled as much as I did after the last bible study in I don't even know how long. So safe to say I think i liked weed.

I took a long inhale from the bong and coughed hard releasing a fat cloud of smoke. "Oh my gosh max that was huge!" Libby giggle and i laughed too while stilling coughing and passed it to Alicia. She took a deep inhale too and didn't cough as much of me.

My head started to feel lighter and I got that fuzzy feeling in my body, I grinned as the bong got passed around. "Troy was literally in our house today when we got home!" Alicia exclaimed i was zoned out not paying attention.

"Max!" She said and bumped me. I snapped back into it. "What?" "I was talking about earlier, how Troy was in our house." She said. "What he was in your house?" Thomas said and everyone laughed. "No yeah! He was just sitting there when we walked in He's such a weirdo." I said rolling my eyes. "Oh he so has a crush on you max he's always following you around!" Libby exclaimed.

"Troy and Maxine sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-" Toby and Matt started chanting before i cut them off. "Gross! Absolutely not I don't know what his deal is but not that he's not even nice to me he's a jerk and he's weird, and I still think he secretly wants to kill me!"

"More like wants to kiss you." Thomas snickered. "Oh shut up and pass me the bong." I glared and he laughed handing it to me. I took another large inhale and coughed my lungs out. my mouth was dry and my head was spinning. "I mean come on Max he is hot." Libby laughed.

"I don't care if he is hot he's fucking crazy!" I said. "So you admit he's hot." Toby smirked. "That's not what I said!" I pleaded. "So your saying he's ugly Max? Come on girl." Libby said making Alicia laugh. "He is- quiet good looking I suppose but it doesn't matter because he's a nut job!" I said stuttering nervously. Ugh I'm so high I can barely form a sentence and I'm fighting for me life here.

"That's the truth he's fucking crazy." Thomas said and took a swig of his drink. I started to feel dizzy the room was filled with smoke i felt like i could barely breathe. "I think I'm gonna go home early guys, I'm tired and I have a headache just need to sleep it off." I looked at Alicia.

"You want me to come with Max?" She asked. "No no I'll be fine will you?" I said. "Yeah I'll be fine be safe see you at home." She smiled. "Ill walk her home when were done here Max." Toby said. "Okay thanks I'll see you guys tomorrow." I smiled and climbed up the ladder I missed a step and almost fell everyone laughed at me, I felt discombobulated after getting up, like I said im not much of a smoked and I had a few rips more than I should have to be honest. Ill be okay i Just need some fresh air. I opened the hatch and climbed out.

It was so dark outside I could barely see, and cold. I shivered and grabbed my arms. I looked around and started walking back to my house looking up at the sky, the starts were clear tonight. Suddenly I looked forward and didn't really know where I was. Am I lost? I looked around confused because this place isn't that big I shouldn't be lost. I guess I didn't know the ranch very well yet, anxiety started to fill my body. Fuck me I shouldn't have smoked that much.