Chapter 3

Maxine Clark 

                 I woke up the next morning at a decent time considering I was out late last night. Nick was still sleeping. Madison was out. "Hey Maxi," Alicia said and smiled. "Morning." "What happened last night after me and Nick left?" She asked. "Well Jake spoke to me, something about Troy trying to do the right thing. I was going to give him a chance but on the way back we got into an argument. Lets just say I'm going to avoid him hes a lot to handle..." I said. "Yeah that's probably best Max." She nodded. "So you down to go to church group with me tonight?" She asked. "Church group? I'm surprised you liked it considering you don't believe in that stuff." I said. "Lets just say we don't really talk about god there." She said smirking. I was confused. "Ill give it a go." I said and smiled.

                 We both go changed. I wore some jean shorts and a Gray tank top with a red and black flannel and my boots. Alicia and I walked to breakfast together. We walked through the breakfast line and we saw Alicia friend from her strange church group that apparently isn't a church group? "Hey Gretch." Alicia said and smiled. "Hey, is this Maxine?" Alicia nodded. "This is Gretchen Maxine." "Oh yes you told me about her. Nice to meet you." I said. They started talking so I decided to leave them to it.

          I didn't know many people her but I did see Libby and I decided to talk to her. "Hey Libby." I said. "Oh hey Max. Hows the leg?" "Its feeling better after a good nights sleep." I said and smiled. "Good! Come sit with us." She said and smiled. "Okay." I said we sat down with Justin and I few other people I didn't know. She introduced me to everyone. Libby had a twin brother named Leo, he seemed nice like Libby. I saw Troy start to walk over. "Oh crap." I said. "Whats up?" Libby asked. "Lets just say I'm avoiding a certain someone!" I said quickly as I started to get up. "Troy?" She said and laughed. "Yep." I said. "Libby I'm sorry I think my Aunt needs me I got to go!" I said loudly so Troy could hear and I started to walk away. I could hear Libby laughing. "Maxine, your aunt isn't here shes on a supply run." Troy said and I stopped but didn't turn around yet. "Oh she is...?" My voice got very high. I could hear everyone at the table laugh. "Yeah so why don't you come sit back down with us?" Troy said. Gosh darn it. "Hahah..Okay." I awkwardly laughed and turned around and started to hobble back over. "Hey Max get over here!" Nick said and motioned for me to sit by him. Libby laughed and Troy rolled him eyes as I went as fast as I could over to Nicks table.

             "Thank you cousin!" I said and hugged him. "What?" He said and chuckled. "One word, Troy." I said. "I see," Nick said. We ate our food and talked. "So how do you think Mom is doing?" Nick said. "I think shes going on that run for a distraction, but shes strong I think shes going to be okay." I said with a hopeful smile. 

            After breakfast I went back to the cabin. I read for the rest of the day inside trying to avoid Troy. I loved reading. Its such a great escape to get lost in another world especially now but I loved reading ever before. I had three books I've had since the begging and I've read them all many many times but they never get old. right before dinner I heard a knock at the door. "Maxine can we talk?" Troy said. My eyes widened. "I know your in there." He said now sounding irritated. "I'm coming in." He said. I quickly marked my book and slid under the bed. I saw him walk in. "Maxine? Maybe she isn't here." He said and left. I sighed in relief as I crawled out.

               I read for the rest of the day until Alicia walked in the cabin. "Hey Max, you haven't left the house since breakfast you alright?" She asked. "Yeah I'm fine just reading." I grinned. "You and your books Max!" She said and rolled her eyes laughing. Alicia never understood how I could read the same books over and over. I laughed too. "So you still up for church group?" She asked. "I don't know this book is getting to the good part..." I joked. She rolled her eyes and laughed again. I put my boots and and grabbed my crutches and we walked over to to this trap door in the ground. We climbed down a ladder. A group of kids were vaping and talking to a walker head? Interesting....? "Hey Alicia!" Everyone greeted her. "Everyone this is my cousin, Maxine." Alicia said and smiled. "This is Matt, Thomas, Gretchen you already met her, Liv and Toby." Alicia said as she pointed them all out. "Nice to meet you all." I said.