Chapter Five - River

As we journeyed from the subway platform, the path to the Academy stretched out before us, winding its way through down-sloping terrain. Along the walk, I struck up conversations with Jay and Henry, learning more about their backgrounds. Jay was from Earth, while Henry split his time between Aetheria and Earth, spending summers with his father in a city only a few hours away from my own. The weariness of the journey began to settle in, a heavy burden on my limbs. Yet, as we neared the Academy, a renewed sense of awe washed over me, momentarily overshadowing my fatigue.

   The Elemental Academy towered above us, imposing in its majesty. Resembling a castle, it boasted hundreds of windows that glowed from candlelight within. The intricate carvings adorning its walls were mesmerizing up close, and the sheer scale of the building left me speechless.

   I was surprised when our group sidestepped the main entrance of the Academy and crossed through an expansive field, illuminated by flickering torches and the full moon. The moon of Aetheria seemed much larger, or closer maybe, than the one I was used to on Earth. Whatever the reason, its presence casted a luminous glow over the nighttime landscape.

   I shifted my attention from the moon and towards the massive stadium looming ahead, constructed from weathered gray stone, bearing the marks of countless years of wear. A line of students wound through the field like a river, snaking its way to a tunnel in the stadium's lowest level.

   "That's the Arena," Jay remarked, pointing at the stadium, her voice filled with wonder. "My brother mentioned it, but I never imagined it would be this," she paused, searching for the right word, "enormous."

   Applause echoed from within the Arena. Our group inched closer in single-file, catching fleeting glimpses of light escaping from the tunnel. I could feel my adrenaline rising, but so too did a sense of unease. What am I doing here? This was so far outside of my comfort zone that I had half a mind to turn around and run straight back to the subway. But there was also this part of me that I couldn't ignore, a part that felt so recklessly curious that I couldn't resist the urge to see what lay within those stadium walls.

   We finally made it to the entrance tunnel, still making slow progress as we shuffled inside. Jay, who was positioned just ahead of me, began to exclaim with excitement at the glimpses she caught from inside. I leaned to either side, hoping for a peek, but the students ahead blocked my view. Behind me, Henry, slightly shorter, faced the same frustration.

   We proceeded forward until we reached a point where I could finally catch sight of the stadium seating. The rows stretched high above us, a formidable structure that encircled the central arena. Each tier of seats showcased the ruggedness of the stone, but the seats looked surprisingly comfortable, with smooth surfaces and sturdy backs. As I scanned the rows, I could see hundreds of students occupying them, their figures silhouetted against the dim light filtering through the open stadium ceiling. Banners bearing the distinctive symbols of each section hung from the railings and more students than were on the subway sat beneath them.

   As the anticipation grew, I began to understand the significance of the event unfolding before me. Each student in line would step into the center of the stadium, where they would be sorted into their respective sections and take their place among their peers beneath the banners.

   A burst of light illuminated the Arena, followed by a wave of applause that reverberated throughout the space. A hearty voice ahead of us proclaimed, "Welcome to Vulcan," and then the newly sorted student ascended the rows to join their section.

   Jay stepped forward, leaving me next in line, and I gained an unobstructed view of the scene before us. With confidence, she strode into the center of the Arena, the floor beneath her carpeted in green grass. At the heart of the massive clearing stood a large table bearing five stone bowls— their contents remained concealed from view, save for one, which emitted a flickering light. Behind the table stood several professors, some engaged in animated conversations, while others were deep in thought, perhaps pondering the new group of students.