xxii. ODD ONE OUT!

ACT ONE

ACT ONE. a game of cat-deer and mouse!
CHAPTER xxii. ❛ ODD ONE OUT! ❜

 ❛ ODD ONE OUT! ❜

southern water tribe,
two years ago.

       "SOKKA," JING-HAI HISSED INTO THE DARK, hopping towards the firelight. She shivered into her oversized parka, the wind chilling right to the bone. Snow fell across her long, dark eyelashes ━━━━━━ dotting her cheeks as though freckles. Due to the recent attacks on the Southern Water Tribe, she had cultivated a fear of the dark. The silence out here was unlike no other, the empty so great she could feel it. Sokka could tell she was afraid. He saw it that night that the bad men came and tried to steal his best friend away. The thought of those people make him stop in his tracks. He needed to go on before it was too late. And yet, he sighs and turns back all the same. "Sokka, wait up!"

His hand finds hers in the dark.

       Quickly, the children traipse through the snow. The sound of the men grow louder and louder: a relief to the wayward younglings.

They had made it.

      "He won't do it, you know," Jing-hai whispers softly as they reach the tip of the ice. It was so cold now they could see their breath but this did little to deter them. The girl's words were not met kindly and Sokka let go of her hand. And just then, Hakoda emerged from his ship.