CHAPTER ONE

BENEATH A MOONLIT SKY[01]

[01]

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ "Salutations! Good evening everyone, good to be back on the air!" The radio show hosts' voice comes to life as your Mother turns the nozzle of the small wooden radio slightly to the right just to turn it up a bit more so she could hear it properly. Your ears perk up slightly from across the room, trying your best not to show eagerness since your Mother had already let you stay up past your curfew on the promise you would practice your needlework.

As boring as that was, it was better that being forced into a dark room with no other source of entertainment but your thoughts, "Now for tonight's program! Courting season is upon us! Birds are chirping with love this year, especially with the prominent Montgomery's masquerade ball in just a few days time. What do you say folks? Is love in the air for some lucky young folk?"

Your eyes dance across the flickering flames from the fireplace, tugging your blue thread through your quilting weight cotton in deep thought as you take in every word the radio host was saying. It was courting season and you were finally of age to find a suitor. This was finally your time to let go of your home life and become a respectable wife in high society. You weren't too thrilled really, but you had to be ready to embrace change and find, at least, a decent husband that you could somewhat like and have children with.

It wasn't much of a dream or aspiration but it was something you had to learn to be content with. Your family name of Duvalier had a strong legacy to upkeep and you knew as the only child in your family you must do your duty and carry on as nothing but an obedient child bearer. All the gowns, makeup, or jewelry in the world couldn't even make you excited for the next days ahead. You knew it would be nothing but men lined up out the door and into the street with poor attempts of courting now that the announcer finally announced it.

You couldn't wait to be the bait on the hook for any potential big fish to catch. Note the sarcasm.

"Moving forward to a more serious topic, the police have asked me to inform all of you that yet another body has been found in the Pine Grove Woods. How horrendous! They were dismembered and barely recognizable!" You shivered at the way you could hear him smiling, "Some say it was our missing darling Henrietta O'Hare, could it be? More information to come but do stick around for some of my favorite slow time jazz, perfect for any woman's ear even the deceased ones, God rest her soul."

The broadcast began to play some jazz, making you feel as if your brain went in a whirlwind from the information you had just recieved. Another body was found?

"How horrific," You mother turned down the radio a bit until the jazz music was nothing more but a hum filling the room, "There is some mad man on the loose, probably someone from the poorer districts"

"Or it's someone of high society," You suddenly spoke up, glancing toward your Mother before continuing your needlework absentmindedly, why did you always struggle in making flower when it came to sewing? "Must we always assume it's someone of lower class?"