Thirteen

An ambulance is speeding down the street, lights and sirens going, preceded by a police unit driven by Nolan

'7-Adam-15 escorting CDC ambulance to Shaw Memorial. Heading east on South Grand. I need a clear path.'

'Copy that, 7-Adam-15. CHP is en route to assist.'

"Is it the virus?" Kate asks, from the back of the ambulance.

"There's no bleeding, looks like he's having a severe reaction to the shot we gave him. He's going into anaphylactic shock. Get me epinephrine!"

As they pull up at the hospital, Kate can hear Nolan shouting for help. Then all of a sudden, shots ring out. She ducks down, covering Tim's body with hers.

"I'll be right back. Gotta save the day." She jokes to Tim who isn't conscious.

She climbs out of the ambulance and gets to cover, returning fire as she watches Nolan, Chen and Jackson return fire as well.

"Right behind you. Right behind you." Kate says as she gets up to Lucy.

Nolan shoots the attacker in the shoulder, then moves closer as she pauses to reload her weapon. She gets it reloaded just as Nolan realizes he needs to reload, and she's about to bear down on him and fire when the back of the ambulance bursts open and Tim jumps out, shooting the woman in her other shoulder. Nolan tackles her and cuffs her, then checks her wounds. Kate looks back at Tim with relief. He was okay.

"Suspect in custody! Doctor! I need some help over here!" Nolan shouts and a doctor comes to help.

Bradford moves closer, a little out of breath, and stands next to Nolan.

"Are you okay?"

"I should've reloaded on the move. You?"

"I should've taken yesterday off."

Two weeks later

It's been two weeks since the potential outbreak. The rookies got to take their six month exams, and relax a little. Walking into the briefing room, Kate spots Tim. She'd left his house early this morning to go for a run with the other rookies before shift.

"How are you feeling?

"Ready to get back to it."

Kate smiles at him and goes to sit down at the rookie table. They all watch as Grey writes four numbers on the board: 81, 91, 94, and a 97.

"All right. Shake off the rust and grab a seat. Anyone want to guess what these numbers represent? Nolan."

"Those are the scores to our six-month exams."

"That is correct, Officer Nolan."

"Oh! We all passed." Lucy says with a smile on her face

"Technically, yes, but that 81 is ugly, given that an 80 is basically an F."