Thirty-Four

Just before shift ended, Nolan and Kate had gotten a call to a house on fire

"Control, 7-Adam-15. We have a structure fire at 8650 Magnolia. Please notify LAFD." Nolan says into the radio

"You think anyone's in there?"

"Well, no one that's supposed to be."

"Help!" A man can be heard just slightly.

"Was that a scream?" Kate asks, grabbing her radio. "Control, what's the ETA on LAFD?"

'Two minutes.'

"That's too long." Kate says looking over at Nolan.

"Control, be advised, we're going in to look for victims." Nolan glances at Kate. "Ready?"

"Tim's gonna yell at me for this, but yup."

They make their way into the house, it's filled with smoke. They can hear the man's pleas for help.

"Help me! Help! Someone help me!"

Kate finds him in a cupboard and Nolan rushes over to help pull him out of the house just as the firefighters arrive.

"Is there anyone else inside?" Bailey asks when she gets on the scene.

"Not that we saw." Kate says

"You shouldn't have gone in." Bailey says to both of them.

"Well, it's kind of our job, saving people."

"You don't see us running towards gunfire. You think that's just wood smoke you're breathing in? All the toxic things in a home, once they catch fire, they turn to deadly gases -- ammonia, carbon dioxide, hydrogen cyanide. So unless you want me dragging your ass to safety in the future, you'll leave the rescues to the professionals. And you, you're pregnant. What is Tim gonna say when he finds out?"

"I know. I'm sorry."

Bailey walks away and puts on a hazmat helmet and heads towards the house.

"How's it going with you two?"

"Really good. Really good."

**

Kate coughs as she makes her way to lay down in the bed.

"You really should have gotten that checked out, ms. I run into burning buildings now. While pregnant."

"Bailey said it's just a cough. I got checked out by her. I'm good."

"Uh huh. That was stupid of you to run into that house."

"Guy needed to be saved. Fire was out two minutes still."

"Still. Next time be more careful, please?"

"The day I start taking it careful on this job, is the day I need to resign. Yes, I'm pregnant. Yes, I'm going to be a mom soon. But, I still have a job to do. If they wanted me to take it easy, they're gonna have to put me on desk duty until I have him." She was still standing, but now had her hands on her hips as she was growing a little bit irritated.