Orchid's Day 5

"I'm just... I don't understand why he would say that!" Hui-Yeon sobbed, accepting a tissue from Ji Won. Ju Ran was flustered seeing the younger girl cry. Hui-Yeon was generally a ball of sunshine and seemed like everything rolled off of her but she had her tearful moments, and times like this made everyone hate the person who made her cry AKA Eun Ho, public enemy No.1.

Apparently, Hui-Yeon and Eun Ho had been on a date at an amusement park when they came across one of Hui-Yeon's frienemies on a date with her boyfriend. They had decided to hangout together and after some time, the guys left the girls to pick up some snacks together. Hui-Yeon's friend had made a comment about Hui-Yeon dating below her cadre and Hui-Yeon had replied sarcastically that she managed him for his ability to cook.

Eun Ho overheard that part of the conversation and embarrassed, left, handing over the snacks to 'friend's boyfriend. Even before friend's boyfriend got around to meet them, Hui-Yeon had thrown water in friend's face and told her to never talk to her again. Then she left to wait at her car, hoping Eun Ho will come find her there.

She waited for hours, calling and dropping several messages before finally going to his place, angry that he never came back from his snack errand.

He, equally pissed, made some comments about her being a rich girl and hoping he pleased her enough to still be with him after three years. Speechless, tears filled her eyes as she ran out of his place and stopped a taxi to take her to Ju Ran Unnie's house, leaving behind her car.

"I'm so sorry dear, so sorry." Ju Ran said, holding the younger woman. She had been distraught the past hour, her eyes swollen and red. Ju Ran knew something but not everything about Hui-Yeon's history so she felt bad that she could only offer this comfort.

****************

"Beer?" Ju Ran said from her position at the fridge. "Water is fine, thank you Unnie." Ji Won replied, tiredly settling into the sofa. Hui-Yeon had finally calmed down and was taking a nap in Ju Ran's room so they had left her to sit in the living room.

"I brought cookies and carrots" Ju Ran said, emptying her hands on the coffee table before sitting on the rug next to the sofa. "Thank you Unnie. But I think you're the only person I know who would have cookies and carrots as the only snack in her house" Ji Won chuckled in response, grabbing a carrot and lying down on the sofa.

Shaking her head, Ju Ran spoke, "I feel so bad for Hui-Yeon, her cries were so heartbreaking."

Sighing, Ji Won replied, "Eun Ho is my friend and everything but his one major peeve is his tendency to misunderstand people. He literally stayed single for years because he thought I was a bad person for rejecting his advances. I mean, I understand the trauma but this is your girlfriend of three years. If anyone should misunderstand her, it should not be you!"

Taking a swig of her beer, Ju Ran sighed and said, "What could she possibly have said that he would misunderstand her this much?"

"Unnie, let me tell you something about Hui-Yeon. You have to understand: Hui-Yeon has not been rich all her life. She has struggled with being labeled a shallow rich girl and a homewrecker's daughter."

All this, especially since she didn't immediately know that her father was Ji Hyuk's father (Ji Hyuk had told her the truth) and then finding out that her mother used her wiles on a married man.

Because of this, Hui-Yeon's actual relationship with Ji Hyuk is generally ignored in favor of being step-siblings (Hui-Yeon's choice, not the Yu Family). So imagine how hurt she must have been at his words.

"Oh wow. And he said such to her? Does he really know enough about her though? Because I'll be mad too.... But at the same time, I think their relationship needs some troubled waters for them to grow closer. In the last three years that I've known these two, I feel like they are more polite strangers with Hui-Yeon taking initiative more than half the time. I think this may be an opportunity for them to grow closer and become something more." Ju Ran replied.

Ji Won nodded introspectively. She also thought the same thing as Ju Ran Unnie. Hopefully, they will take this opportunity to grow closer.

"I agree. By the way, that's the longest paragraph I've heard you say!" Ji Won said, her tone cheeky.

Ju Ran laughed, her cheeks blooming in a blush. "It's the beer, okay?"

"No, I think Unnie is getting bolder." Ji Won replied, tugging at Ju Ran's sleeve childishly.

"Yah, I'm someone who kissed Lee Suk Joon deeply. Don't underestimate me." Ju Ran answered shamelessly. Squeals ensued from Ji Won before she remembered her sleeping sister-in-law. In a stage whisper, she said, "Unnie! That's crazy!!"

They laughed some more and started chatting about something else, but the situation with Hui-Yeon and Eun Ho stayed in Ju Ran's thoughts even longer.

******************

The soft light of the hanging lamps filled the kitchen, casting a warm hue over everything it touched. Suk Joon and Ju Ran sat at the small dining table, Jjimdak and banchan in front of them, the remnants of a shared cooking adventure.

Although the food was amazing, Ju Ran played her food absently, her thoughts drifting. Suk Joon watched her, a look of concern crossing his face before pouring her a glass of water. "What's on your mind?" he asked.

Ju Ran looked up, meeting his gaze. "I... I'm just worried," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "I'm worried that we'll end up like Hui-Yeon and Eun Ho ssi. They were so in love, and now...."

Suk Joon squeezed her hand gently, understanding flooding his otherwise stoic features. "I know you're scared," he said softly. "But I promise you, I'm not going anywhere. Hui-Yeon and Eun Ho may have time on their side but we know what our being together will cost us. And I promise to wait for you. We'll take this one step at a time, at your pace, until your feelings catch up to mine."

Ju Ran felt a wave of relief wash over her. Once again she knew she had found someone truly special in Suk Joon, someone who cared for her in a way she had never experienced before. She was always scared of him when he was merely her boss but he never intimidated her or made her feel like she or her thoughts or opinions were unwelcome then.

Same as now. Her fears were all hers.

Suk Joon placed a piece of chicken on her rice, "Eat, the food is delicious." She smiled and bit into the succulent chicken.

Together, they dug into their meal, savoring each bite as if it were the most precious thing in the world. And in that moment, surrounded by the warmth of the kitchen and the comfort of each other's company, they were at peace.

Later, they rested in the lounge chairs on her balcony, enjoying the night view. As they sat there, the worries of the day fading into the background, Ju Ran felt a sense of peace settle over her. She knew that, whatever the future held, she was grateful to have Suk Joon with her.

A/N: sawwwrrry 😅😅
Life was life-ing. I hope we are all doing well? As always, Live and Love 💕💕💕