chapter 1

The suns warm rays filtered through the wooden slats, the half assed attempt at curtains keeping none of the light at bay. Morning shadows danced around the room, taunting me to get up. "UGH" I groaned, rolling over covering my eyes with the pillow. The broken window had been at the bottom of my to-do list since I moved to The Edge last week, yet every morning the same routine of throwing my pillow at the shabby wood occurred. I need to get that fixed, I repeated to myself as I forced my feet out of bed. The cold air nipped at my bare skin as I floundered around looking for some clean clothes. Do my laundry, another task for the to-do list. I rolled my eyes judging my own terrible time management. It had only been a week back and yet I somehow had gone through every piece of clothing I own. 

Treading carefully on the wooden floorboards, I made my way over to the 'curtain' and let the light in fully. My eyes adjusting to the harsh light, landing on a pile of crimson scales. Snorting loudly, Waxmelt, my changewing, glared at me before curling his head tighter into his body to block out the light. Shaking my head "you lazy beast" I tutted before smiling affectionately at the dragon, sitting myself in the crook of his neck. We are defiantly not made for the mornings. 

Deciding to not waste anymore time lying around, I rose to find Hiccup and ask him for some proper fabric for the curtain. Leaving the hut I headed to the clubhouse, thats where I could usually find him, tinkering away at one thing or another. Upon entering I noticed the fire had been relit from the night before sending a warm shiver up my spine welcoming the heat. Beside me, waxmelt purred in agreement, feeling the warmth before lying down for a nap. I raised an eyebrow at him, "wax.. you've only been awake for 10 minutes" I pat his head as he just let out what I can only assume is a scoff and went back to sleeping. 

"Morning Y/N, Morning Wax..?" he said the second name with scepticism  as he eyed the already sleeping dragon. "Hiccup!" I returned his greeting and gestured at my dragon. "I wish I was asleep too" He rolled his eyes slightly and sat by the fire. "yes I was wondering what was important enough to get you out of bed so early" he replied, slightly sarcastic considering it was nearing midday. "I'm glad you asked" I spun around to face him ignoring his tone "that window still needs fixing, it lets in all the sun and wakes me up. I need some fabric to make proper curtains." the end of my sentence ended on a higher note. "Oh, sorry Y/N, I had the perfect stuff but I used it to make a new tail for Toothless" hearing his name, the night fury rose from its perch in the morning sun and came over, nuzzling hiccups hand, "see" he gestured for me to inspect the tail, "extra flexibility for those tight turns." he beamed down at the dragon as he often would when talking about his inventions. Directing his focus back to me "maybe ask Astrid, she might have some left over from her own curtains". I rolled my eyes thinking of the blonde. Our rivalry going back to life on Berk, before we made peace with the dragons. She was stronger, but I was quicker. We'd fight for recognition, but before long the fights turned physical, the fair share of scars between us proved it. If not for hiccup, our ruthless rivalry would've gotten the better of us. Although we could work together with the group just fine, talking to her alone, never mind asking her for something was out of the question. 

As if we conjured her, Astrid appeared at the doorway with Stormfly, obviously returning from a morning fly. Another reason I hated her, she woke up early. "Speak of the devil" Hiccup exclaimed walking over to the pair, rubbing under Stormfly's as she squawked happily. "hey do you have any of that fabric left over from your curtains? Y/N was looking for some" At the mention of my name, Astrids expression turned sour. Spotting me across the room she scowled "No, sorry Y/N, you're going to have to go to the Northern Markets to get some more" she smiled at me sweetly, yet the smile didn't reach her eyes. I knew she was jumping inside knowing I'd be away for a few days. 

To be fair, I wasn't supposed to be here, I wasn't supposed to be at Berk either though. I was a traveler really. The open oceans call my name, to explore, to be free. Yet as a child, the citizens of Berk raised me. I had no family yet at the same time everyone was. No one back on Berk talked to me about my past and to be honest I didn't mind; ever since I could remember I stayed with different families. Every one treating me like their own. Despite being surrounded by love and care, I couldn't help but feel lonely, imposing on those who helped me. When I was 13, I moved in with Gothi, the old village healer. She taught me the basics of medicine, but even she knew I didn't really fit. I planned to leave the minute I turned 16, and never look back. But when Hiccup reached out to me for help I couldn't say no, he was the heir to the tribe who took me in after all. Secretly it felt good to be needed. 

Hiccup and the dragon riders had discovered a whole trade for killing and selling dragons. They'd taken it upon themselves to end the dragon hunters. They didn't fill me in on most of the details, probably regarding it as unimportant, and asked if I could move to the Edge as a healer. Despite knowing only basic medicine I agreed. It was a rocky start to say the least, but I was warming up to the idea. I liked the other riders enough to put up with Astrids stares and snarky remarks. 

Getting pulled from my thoughts by a yawn, I glanced over to Waxmelt, noting his shedding scales. "I'll have to go next week, looks like Wax is malting" I crouched down to inspect him. Riding him while he was shedding was possible, but it meant he wouldn't be able to go invisible, leaving him vulnerable. "nonsense!" Hiccup pulled me as we begun walking in step towards a familiar green hut. "no Hiccup... no" I groaned as we pulled up in-front of the twins' hut. "the twins will take you" a playful smirk danced across his face. It wasn't that I didn't love the twins, i did. But they had to the tendency to, well, get distracted. And I wasn't about to be left alone at the northern markets. 

'That worked out well' I thought to myself as we rode through the sky. I lay on the back of the zippleback, listening to Tuff rave on about getting food for Chicken while they were there. Zoning out their conversation until it was no more than a gentle hum in the background, I shut my eyes and prepared for the headache to come. 

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

Also should the story have smut... I cant decide

1242 words