Chapter 4

Life on the edge for the past few weeks was dull. Helping with mundane tasks day after day, no job really needed a healer. The occasional dressing of a wound or soup for a cold but beyond that my skills weren't really necessary. Maybe I could teach one of them the basics and leave. Fishlegs maybe. His garden supplies most of the herbs I needed anyway. The riders have been out on more expeditions than they used to, leaving me at home to make myself useful. I haven't been out with them yet. They haven't asked, but to fair haven't offered my help either. The whole thing is starting to get out of hand. At first it was just Dagur; The crazy jailbird, well escapee, but it snowballed into a whole armada of dragon hunters. I've heard stories of their boss. Viggo Grimborn, i think was his name. I like the way it sounds, the G's rolling off my tongue. I'd never admit that to the gang though. Walking around the edge aimlessly has left plenty of time to think about my nighttime encounter many moons ago now. I wonder if his name rolls of the tongue just as easily. As easily as his tongue conquered my own.

The light filtering through the boarded up window doesn't annoy me as much anymore. Rather i welcome it, a subtle reminder of my adventure. Stretching I reach over towards Waxmelt sleeping beside my bed and run my fingers along his head. He finished shedding a while ago but his scales still felt new. He'd shed a large enough patch to make a cloak. I'd thought of the idea months ago back on berk, somehow use his scales to make armour or something, like heather with her razor whip armour, allowing us to fully cloak up and ride through the sky invisible. At the time it had seemed silly, knowing Wax only shed in small singular scales but something was different this time and it had made my idea a possibility. Well almost a possibility, i had the materials i just had to figure a way to wear it.

Settling on my days to-do list, we left the hut to find some breakfast. Up at the clubhouse, I could hear a commotion. 'Ugh' i scoffed patting Wax's ' head. It was surely another minor injury being dramatised. Making my way up towards the voices I heard someone yell "go get Y/N, hopefully she can help" with that sentiment i hurried along, feeling a sense of pride in being needed. Walking in dramatically ready to bandage up one limb or another, i had not prepared myself for the sight before me. Astrid lay sickly pale, almost green on the floor, her head being cradled in Hiccups lap. My mouth dropped, i knew what was wrong. Apparently no one else did as they looked at me expectedly, waiting for my diagnosis. I opened my mouth to speak but got cut off by a nasaly voice "is it contagious y/n" Tuffnut asked from the corner, theatrically covering his nose as if that would help. "No no, well not by air you're safe tuff" i stammered out. "well what's wrong then" fish legs interjected anxiously. I paused before replying. Any sour feelings i had towards Astrid before were erased and replaced by the deathly sight that fell before me. "The scourge" i said quietly as if saying it allowed would make worse. "the scourge? you mean the Incurable scourge that wiped out hundreds and hundreds of vikings" Hiccup almost yelled at me, his head buried in his hands. "it's not her fault Hiccup" Surprisingly it was Snotlout who stood up for me. We'd never really even had a proper conversation, even when we were younger, but it felt good knowing he respected me. "I know, I'm sorry Y/N, i'm just, i'm just.." he trailed off squeezing Astrid's hand gently. "I know Hiccup" i rest my hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. "but" i continued slowly "there is a cure, the only issue is, we need a buffalord." The room fell silent. "i thought they were extinct" Ruffnut pointed out the obvious. "that's why he looks all gloomy and sad dummy" Tuffnut nudged his twin. "we are going to find one" hiccup said with determination, standing up and resting Astrid's head on a pillow. "Y/N, will you stay with her?" he looked up at me with glossy eyes. "ofcourse" I sat down next to Astrid, pressing a damp cloth against her forehead. Now all we do is wait.

I stared down at the girl I'd been nursing for the past two days, any feelings of resentment long gone. It's scary how quickly death can come, how much it can change your outlook. Astrid wasn't dead yet though, she still had atleast another day if she hung on. As time went on, the chance of  Hiccup and the riders even finding a buffalord let alone bringing back its saliva was getting slimmer and slimmer. Astrid was also getting slimmer, her previously strong and toned body was limp and fragile under my touch. She hadn't eaten in days, being practically unconscious for most of the time anyway. I'd been able to give her fluids, enough to stay alive, but water could only do so much. The scourge is transferred through blood, so finding the entry point was my first task; cleaning and disinfecting was my second.
I kept wondering where she could've gotten infected. The scrounge was incredibly rare, dying with the last wave of vikings. The buffalord too, hunted to the brink of extinction during the original outbreak.
Undressing and reexamining her wound, i noticed her skin had started going black around the edges and slowly up her arm. She didn't have long. We needed to go. Either she'd die here alone with me, or we'd find hiccup and hopefully the buffalord. Collecting the rest of the ingredients for the cure and packing them in my saddlebag, I called for both Waxmelt and Stormfly. Stormfly being a tracker class, she should have no trouble finding our friends. I hoisted myself and slowly Astrid onto Wax's' back. "gentle now wax" i coaxed gently, holding the girls body closely against my own.

"fetch Stormfly" I commanded throwing one of Hiccups spare legs at her to sniff. 

We were off, the deadly nadder leading the way. Astrid began to stir in my lap, disorientated and weak. "just a little bit longer Astrid, you've got this" I smiled down gently at her rubbing her unwounded arm. As we neared a grassy island, I could spot the familiar silhouettes of the 4 dragons and their riders. A fifth dragon stood close by, big and round, a buffalord! I recognised it from one of Gothi's books. They did it, they found one. I stared in disbelief as we landed next to the group. 

"how on earth did you find one?" I asked, surprisingly the vikings. "the dragon eye! we revealed a new-" fishlegs was cut off my Hiccups stern voice, unlike the rest of them, Hiccup was not smiling rather his eyebrows were pressed together anxiously. "Y/N, its not green, the saliva its not green, what's wrong.." I walked over to where he was crouching by the dragon. Feeding it a mix of herbs I'd packed in my saddlebag. The docile creature began eating them out of my hand, slobbering as it did. I caught the liquid in a small bowl, making my way back to Astrid, "drink up hun" she didn't react, remaining motionless on my dragons back. "Astrid!" Hiccup ran to her side, apparently unaware of her presence until now. Opening her mouth, I gave her the liquid how I had done the water. Hiccup shook slightly beside me, waiting for the antidote to work. "we won't see any improvement until tonight, " I explained, "but every minute she's still alive is a good sign" I climbed back onto Waxmelts back behind Astrid, wrapping my arms around her shoulder and waist. 

The flight back home was tense. No one spoke a word, all muttering silent prayers, anything for Astrid to be safe. On arrival we set up beds in the clubhouse, no one wanted to be far incase something happened. Tension was still high as we settled in for the night. Hiccup insisted to stay up with me to look after Astrid, but what good would it do for us both to be tired. Promising I'd wake him if something changed, he too went to sleep, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the sick girl. Changing her bandages and examining her wound, I noticed the colour coming back to her skin. A good sign. All of a sudden I feel cold fingers reach up to my arm, "thank you y/n" I hear a faint whisper, looking down Astrid barely managed to her open her eyes but she wore a small smile. I held her hand, trying to warm her up, "of course Astrid". Before I could really respond her eyes shut and she fell into a deep sleep. 

The sun peaked over the horizon, waking the other riders. Hiccup was the first to talk. "How is she?" he asked cautiously, not really wanting a response. I smiled before answering "she's good, it worked, the medicine worked" I exclaimed, hearing the sighs of relief throughout the room. "She'll need to rest for a couple weeks, but she should be back to dragon riding in no time" I beamed down at the girl, she looked alive again, her skin had its peachy hue and her cheeks slightly blushed. We moved her to the privacy of her own hut, being careful not to wake her. They took turns watching over her while I cooked us a meal. Astrid hadn't eaten in at least 3 days and the rest of us felt similar. Making my way towards the kitchen, I wondered how this would change our relationship. I didn't harbour the same feelings of hatred as before, realising how short and fragile life truly was. 

1683 words

I know this doesn't fit with the episode like at all or the timeline, but I thought it would be a good way to fix Astrid and y/ns relationship and showcase our healing abilities. anyways luv ya xx