Chapter 3

As we entered the adjoining room, I looked down at our hands, his large ones lightly holding my own. What am I doing? Why did I follow a strange man into a room alone? A strange man which everyone seems to be scared of, or at least respect. Thats a good thing though right? The thoughts raced around my mind but did not affect my actions in the slightest. I followed after him without a glance back. The room was dimly lit by candles on shelves and lanterns hanging from the ceiling. This room was only slightly smaller than the main bar area yet only had a single round table . It was prepared for a party of 3, decorated with gold encrusted plates and goblets filled with an aromatic red wine. The man I'd followed stopped, pulling out a chair for me to sit on, "my dear?" he tilted his face down, gesturing for me to sit. "ever the gentleman" I responded giving him a coy smile. He took a seat opposite me, allowing me to examine him in closer detail. His shoulder pads and belt had matching metal spikes, small but sharp; His skin tight tunic didn't leave much up to the imagination, which I was grateful for. A creak echoed throughout the room, causing us to both turn in the direction of the sound. The door opened with a slight knock as the perpetrator shuffled in. Without a word between them, the newcomer, who I recognised as the bartender, came and removed the third place sitting. As he left the man spoke up, "what would you like to eat?" I looked up at him as he spoke, focusing on the way his body moved as he spoke. Pure confidence. 'you' I thought as I examined him. As If he could read y thoughts he smirked, sending shivers down my spine. "whatever you're having is fine" I replied with far less confidence than I intended. 

After a few vague questions, the food came out, carried by the same bartender as before. Now in better lighting I noticed the sweat on his forehead, his posture hunched and his arms shaking slightly. A complete change from the rude, daunting man I'd spoken with a few hours ago. The presence of the Mystery man really shook him. I should probably feel the same. But something about him calmed me. Whether it was his soft gaze or his voice I was unsure. "lost in thought?" The same voice broke me from my trance. "just thinking about the food" I replied, not exactly a lie, I was famished. "I hope the food meets your expectations then" he grinned and picked up a fork. The bartender placed my food down second, avoiding my gaze as he did so before hurrying out of the room, leaving us alone once again. "what are you doing at the markets, it's a dangerous place you know" His voice broke the silence. "just some shopping" I reached down to the fabric I had bought earlier, gone. I must of left it at my other table. I was about to get up and find it but something told me not to interrupt this guy. Instead I picked up my own fork and dug into the steaming meal infront of me. Juicy chicken legs were my first target. "what about you, it is a dangerous place after all" I teased him. "not by choice, our ships were attacked at sea, this was the closest place to stay until we can have them fixed" he spoke calmly his gaze not wavering from mine. I didn't reply, just shaking my head slowly in acknowledgment. 

The sounds of our eating filled the silence that followed. I was perfectly content with that though, the food was amazing. Flavourful and much more importantly, cooked through. Astrid could never. Eating her food was like eating the chicken alive. Nearing the end of my plate, I felt eyes on me. Looking up, I met his eyes. Yet he didn't stop staring. "is there something on my face?" I asked nervously feeling my face heat up. He just smiled in return. "Why are you all alone?" he asked instead, avoiding my question. "my ride thought it would funny to leave without me" I answered simply, annoyance evident in my tone. Hiccup isn't going to hear the end of it. "what an acquired sense of humour." mhm, I grumbled in response eating the last of the scraps. I noticed he'd already finished and smiled sweetly. "thank you for the meal, i needed it." 

We both stood up and he accompanied me to the door. He was so close I could smell him, a mixture of pine and something sweeter. A familiar feeling of sadness washed over me as we neared the door, realising I'd probably never see the attractive stranger again. He was about to grab the door handle before my own hand reached out to his arm. Surprising both him and myself, he turned to face me, the muscles in his arm twitching slightly at my touch. He was icy, even in the heat of the room. He raised an eyebrow at me waiting for me to speak, "I don't think you told me your name" I spoke barely above a whisper, moving my body slightly closer. "you didn't tell me yours either" he remarked, his voice gruff. The warmth returned between my legs as I clenched my thighs slightly. "y/n" I trailed my eyes down his neck, down the scar and across the visible part of his muscular chest. "such a pretty name, for such a pretty girl" he purred into my ear. I felt my skin flush, my cheeks bright. 

I led my eyes back up to his, feeling a large hand around my back. It fit so perfectly in the bend of my waist, resting on the exposed skin. His touch sent electricity racing to my heart, my breathing getting heavier. Seeing my reaction, he just smirked and pulled me in closer. His scent was intoxicating, I was drawn like a moth to a flame. Before I knew it, our lips were inches apart. Not wasting another second, I closed the gap. The kiss was soft at first; breaking apart slowly, he pushed a stray hair out of my face with his free hand. But I was hungry now, hungry for him. Fake pouting I moved my hands from my sides up to wrap around his chest. The height difference made me step up on my toes to reach him though. Without warning, both his hands had wrapped around my waist as he lifted me up against the wall. Instinctively my legs wrapped around his waist. Pressed up against the wall, my skirt had lifted up to my hips, allowing some much needed friction in-between my legs. "I trust you'd stop me if you are uncomfortable" his voice interrupted my thoughts. Knowing I wouldn't be able to respond verbally I just nodded my head. Our lips crashed together for the second time, with more passion and desire now. I stopped to take a breath, he took it as his opportunity to take my lower lip in-between his teeth and nibble slightly. He moved down from my mouth to neck, leaving a trail of fire as he went. His teeth nipped at a sweet spot on my collarbone, eliciting a moan to escape my lips. Quickly I covered my mouth with my hands in embarrassment, my cheeks flushing a new shade of red. His hand reached up and moved my hands "I want to hear your sweet sounds" he coaxed. My hands settled on his shoulders, fingers dipping into the corners of the fabric on his neck. 

Tugging ever so slightly, signalling I wanted it off. The material was thick in between my fingers, the stitching skilfully hidden. Who ever this man was, he surely had money. Breaking away from my shivering body he begun pulling the shirt off. I only caught a glimpse of his toned torso before a loud explosion interrupted us. 

An annoyed expression took over his face, pinching in between his brows he let me down off the wall gently. "I'm sorry my dear, I expect that to be my ships being blown up" he wiped a finger across my cheek before starting again "I really do not wish to leave you, but" he trailed off as more explosions explained for him. "thank you again" I beamed up at him. Truly I was devastated he had to leave, but business is business. I opened the door and walked out ahead of him. 

To my surprise the tavern was empty, no sign of the bartender or the passed out vikings. We must've been in there longer than I thought. "take care, my dear" The darkness hid my sadness as he walked away, out the door and towards the docks.

The night had been eventful and I was grateful for the solitude and darkness of the bar. I returned to my previous seat, in search of the forgotten fabric. Failing to find it, I lowered my body down onto a stool, dreaming of the mysterious stranger. Thats when I heard the familiar shrill of a night fury. Hiccup! I ran outside to meet the dragon and his rider. In front of me stood hiccup and two sheepish twins. They avoided my eye contact as Hiccup spoke "Y/N!" he called out to me, beckoning me onto toothless. 

The flight home was long. It begun with Hiccup lecturing the twins on leaving me behind. I joined in periodically, glad they were getting told off. Emphasising the dangers of the northern markets and the hunters. His words brought me back to my mysterious company, dangerous. Was he dangerous? no. He treated me gently. He hadn't given me his name yet I yearned for more, for his touch for his- "y/n?? y/nnn" voices in unison pried me away from my fantasy. "how are we expected to apologise if she won't pay attention?" ruff whined at hiccup. "Y/N, you okay?" Hiccup asked, concerned. "fine, just tired" he seemed satisfied with my answer and we resumed the flight in silence. The occasional remark from either twin keeping me awake. 

1719 words

ooo! how'd you like them meeting. I hope it wasn't too cringy omgs..