Chapter 5

It had been almost a week since I'd walked in to find Astrid sick, she was recovering fast. Being fit and healthy really helped. We've been speaking a lot more now, mostly due to everyone else being out all the time but none the less I could tell she was warming up to me. She stopped glaring at me and commenting on everything I do. Instead we'd laugh together and tell stories. We were slowly opening up to each other. It felt nice to have a proper friend. 

"telll me Y/N" Astrid sat on the edge of the cliff beside me, our legs dangling off the edge, "you know you want to" she teased me poking my side gently. I squirmed in response, my cheeks heating up at the thought. She'd just told me about her little crush on hiccup, I'd had to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. 'I know Astrid, everyone knows' I thought to myself as she got all flustered talking about him. I never thought I'd see her so.. emotional? Having any other emotion other than hate and rage seemed foreign to her. She sat there looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to repay the favour. "who is it, not snotlout is it..?" her face twisted in disgust at the name. "gods no" I chuckled placing my hand on her back, "please if that ever happens, kill me" I said giggling but stone cold serious. We laughed like old friends. "Don't try and distract me with a good time, seriously who has got you all flustered thinking about" her persistence wearing me down. "fine, but you can't tell a soul" I lower my voice and turn away. "I actually don't know his name" I said matter of factly, knowing it would piss her off. "yes you do." she replied sternly, looking me dead in the eye, searching for a tell that I was lying. "No seriously, we never really, had time, for that" I smirked, a mischievous twinkle in my eye. "gods y/n, don't tell me that" Astrid looked at me, "was he a good kisser at least" she asked again, returning my smirk. "mhm, and his fingers felt goo-" "are you talking about me honey?" I got cut off by a cocky voice. We turned to see Snotlout standing behind us, arms folded looking smug. "see Astrid, Y/N knows who's the real Viking around here." he winked at me, blowing a kiss. "ew no" we replied in unison, she threw an axe at him while I threw my dagger. Both only nearly missing, sending him fleeing into the forest behind. "guess the others are back already, we better go meet them.." I stretch, happy to have an excuse to stop talking about the mystery guy. "fine, this isn't over though you know" she huffed. Seeing her frown, "race you back?" I ask standing up reaching my hand down to help her up. "is that even a question?" she grinned, pulling my hand down as she got up causing me to lose balance and fall back to the ground, giving her a head start. "you dirty cheater" I yelled after her as she sped away. 

Astrid won. Entering the clubhouse to meet the others, I shot her a glare before breaking into a smile. She returned my smile rolling her eyes slowly. The others didn't seem to notice our little interaction, as they continued their discussion. "A-Astrid!" Hiccup stutters slightly noticing the blonde girl join the group. "I'm glad your up and about again" he smiled warmly his hands moving through the air awkwardly. I stood back and laughed silently at the flushed pair. "good to be back Hiccup, ready for the next mission" she replied enthusiastically. "speaking of which" he turned his attention back to the rest of the group "I got word of hunter shipyards in these two locations" he pulled out a map, drawing two circles around respective islands. I recognised one of the islands from a map of my own, I'd go there often to collect willow bark and various herbs; no sign of dragon hunters though. "right, we need two riders to scout the areas, any volunteers?" he grinned looking at Snotlout, "ugh why me... always me" he scoffed at Hiccup. "I'll go" my voice barely audible over Snotlouts complaining. Everyone spun to look at me, I'd never gone on a mission before, especially not alone. But it was only a scouting mission after all and I needed to restock. "oh erm are you sure y/n" Hiccup spoke up looking at me concerned. "great, don't question the girl Hiccup, off you go Y/n" Snotlout ushered me out of the room, evidently happy he didn't need to go. "wait a minute Snotlout," Hiccup interrupted, "we need two scouts, remember?" Hiccup smirked folding his arms watching Snotlouts face fall. "why me gods why me?" he fell to his knees dramatically staring at the ceiling. "It's only a scouting mission Snotlout" Hiccup said, clearly amused. "Just go, observe and report back, and do not try and fight anyone" he addressed the both of us, making sure I understood my task. "easy" I tried not to show my excitement. An excuse to get off the Island and relax, maybe even stay a night away from the edge. I excused myself to my hut to pack some things. 

"waxxxmelt" I called out in a singsong voice, "we're going on a little holiday." He bounded towards me, tongue out, like an oversized puppy. He stood patiently next to me as I packed a few essentials into the saddlebag. Containers to collect the herbs and spices, some water and a map of my own. I was going to take advantage of the time away from the edge thats for sure. 

Meeting everyone back at the clubhouse, Hiccup ran through my job once more, making sure I understood. "yes hiccup I got it, observe and report back" I responded rolling my eyes "if snotlout can do it so can I" Snotlout pretended to pout "im offended y/n". After the goodbyes and goodlucks, Waxmelt took to the sky. The sun was still high, warming my shivering limbs; I'd decided against wearing long pants, sacrificing my warmth. I looked down at the map hiccup had given me, sighing and rolling it up. Instead I replaced it with my own. I'd marked all the useful islands along the way and with hours before sundown I knew I had time. Besides, I was sure there was no hunter shipyard at my destination anyway, I'd been there not long ago with no sign of hunter activity. 

The sun began setting, painting rays of pink and orange across the sky, a truly beautiful sight to fly through. I'd been to almost half my stops already, and collected more supplies than I truly needed. It was fun to forage and explore again; it had felt suffocating being confined to the edge for the past few months. I practically knew the island like the back of my hand, I remembered every dragon and plant on it. Seeing as nightfall was soon, I found a place to land a place to sleep.. Setting up camp, I sent Waxmelt off to catch his own fish. Wax loved hunting, and to my convenience he preferred to do it alone. I pulled out some of the food I'd collected today and begun making myself a light dinner. By the time I'd set up the fire, Wax had returned, watching me struggle to light the fire. Times like these I wish I had a fire breathing dragon. He chortled in amusement watching me fumble with the wood. I scowled at him, "I'd like to see you try" I retort. He scratched his claw against a nearby rock sending a spark flying to the pile of kindling. Watching in awe I scratched under his chin "you never fail to amaze me boy" I finished building up the fire and snuggled down next to my dragon to sleep. Letting out a deep breath staring at the clear night sky. It felt good to be out. 

Ugh, I stirred, the familiar cold tinge of metal pressed against my neck, a blade. Adrenaline coursed through my veins, yet I was frozen. My eyes still fuzzy, I couldn't make out more than two shadows standing over me. "Viggo's gonna like this one". 

1412 words

Cliffhanger!! Hope you enjoyed the chapter :) also are the chapters too short?