[09] Enemy Status

You twirled your newest pen between your fingers and let out a listless sigh. You still couldn't believe that this was the reward you'd gotten for smashing your lips against Katsuki's. It was almost like you were being pranked or something.

["That pen's pretty nice, isn't it?"]

You rolled your eyes so hard it was a miracle they didn't fall out your skull.

Yeah, right. I thought they said there would be better rewards for clearing tasks of higher difficulty. I'd say kissing someone is pretty hard to pull off. If I'd kissed Katsuki on purpose rather than by mistake, he would've probably lost his mind.

Either the system had been lying to you-which was nothing new, really-or that meant that there would be tasks in the future that would be way harder than the one you'd just completed. You didn't even want to try and imagine what they could possibly be. You had enough on your plate as it was.

["Since you don't have school today, how about you start training? Remember, your goal is to get into U.A, so you'll need to develop some skills. You'll keep on gaining skill points as you rank up with your targets, but you can't rely solely on those. You need to build up some fighting prowess on your own."]

"How am I supposed to fight?" you frowned. "I don't technically have a Quirk. Am I just supposed to punch and kick? Will that be enough for me to become a hero?"

["If you had superhuman strength like All Might, sure, but you aren't strong enough to get away with hand-to-hand combat. Not yet, at least. You have plenty of room to grow. There's no telling how strong you'll get. But for the time being, I think it'd be best if you stuck to using weapons."]

That didn't sound much better, because you obviously couldn't remember having ever used a weapon before. Perhaps you actually had, but you'd simply lost your memories of it. There was such a thing as muscle memory, so even if your amnesia was impeding your recollection of things, perhaps your skills would come back to you once you actually picked up a weapon.

You were kind of hoping this was the case, because you got the sense that becoming a weapon expert would take a lot of hard work.

["Are you wondering if you might have used weapons before?"]

You blinked rapidly. "Um. You can't also read my mind... can you?"

["Of course not. That would be highly unethical."]

Bitch! Like that's ever stopped you before!

You supposed they would have done plenty more crappy things if they could see your innermost thoughts. You also wouldn't be able to curse them out in your head like you were doing right now. Motherfucker, asshole, dickhead, creepy bastard-the list of things you'd secretly called them went on and on.

["Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you're going to be an absolute beginner. You've never used weapons before."]

"How do you know that?" you challenged. "Honestly, how much of my life are you keeping from me? I already said I'd do as you wanted, but can't you tell me a bit more about myself? Please. I won't ask for much. I just want to remember who I am."

["It's difficult to explain, but I have a way of assessing your physical condition and knowing what sort of skills you have. Fighting with weapons isn't one of them, so that's why we need to start working on it while you've still got time before the U.A entrance exam."]

It was always so hard to get a straight answer. They were hiding more things than you could probably even count. Even if you did exactly as they demanded, there was really no guarantee you would be able to recover your memories. So far, you'd only seen a brief snippet-the one of your mother. And it felt like you'd recalled it naturally, not through the system's help.