Chapter Six

Dear Diary - November 9th, 2018,

Mom said something that scared me today. Mom and Dad haven't fought in a few weeks, so I thought things were getting better. Mom still visits her parents on weekends, but I don't think she's dating that one guy anymore, so I have that to be thankful for. 

I don't really know what made Mom bring this up, but I did hear them talking a bit before. Dad was doing some laundry, and Mom approached him. My room is next to the laundry room, so I could hear everything through the walls, so I don't really think it's my fault that I heard it. 

I want to pretend I didn't hear it, so I'm not going to write about it. I will write about the good things. 

My teacher gave me extra credit because I helped another kid out when they weren't there the other day, so my grade went up. I thought that was pretty cool. Mom told me "It should've never gone down in the first place," but I think she was just teasing. 

I can't think of anything else to write about. 

"What did you just say?" I heard Dad exclaim quietly, and I assume Mom hushed him, because he quickly lowered his voice.

"You heard me the first time."

"I don't think I did. What did you say?"

"Times have changed, you know that. You can't expect everyone to live by your stupid traditional biblical beliefs. That's not how the world works," her voice was irritated, and she laughed as she said the words, but based on the tone, it wasn't a "haha" laugh.

"Where did religion or tradition come up? All I asked was what you said, I want to make sure I'm not hearing things."

"You and I both know it would be for the best. For Erin's sake, too."

"Is this because of him?"

"No it's not because of him, we aren't seeing each other anymore."

"Oh, I guess I should be thankful for that, right? That my wife decided not to cheat on me anymore? My bad!" I heard some banging around, it sounded like he was getting something out of the dryer. "What else is new, is there someone else?"

"Would you stop? I'm trying to have a mature conversation with you!"

"How am I supposed to have a mature conversation with my wife that cheated on me?"

"It wasn't cheating!"

"How was it not cheating?"

"We never slept together!"

"Oh, great! You just went on dates, kissed, went to concerts using my money, hung out, lied about where you were, didn't post pictures so people wouldn't know, and sent each other heart emojis! I'm so glad you didn't sleep together! Great news, right?"

Mom once again hushed him, but I heard him scoff in response. I couldn't hear what he said after that. 

"Look, I'll break the news to Erin."

What news are they breaking to me? What's going on?

They mumbled some more after that, being especially quiet, the only way I could've hard it was if I got up and hid by the door, but I didn't want to risk one of them walking in and seeing me. I know Mom would've gotten mad at me if I had done that. 

After maybe twenty minutes, or something like that, I'm not too sure, she came into the room. I jolted awake when she gently shook me. I guess I dozed off. Weird. Usually I can't sleep when I know they're arguing. Maybe I've gotten used to it.

"Erin," she mumbled. Her voice was soft and her eyes were red and puffy. She must've been crying. Dad made her cry. 

"What? Are you okay, Mommy?"

"What would you do..." I did not like the pause in her voice. Her facial expression mimicked one of someone trying to find the words to say. Why was she thinking so hard about what to say? Had I done something wrong? "...if your dad and I got a divorce?"

a what.