●27

●・○・●・○・●

''i'm going out, mom.'' florence said, grabbing her coat from the hook and putting it on.

''who with?'' 

''gabriella.'' she lied easily. ''we're gonna get dinner so don't worry about cooking.''

''okay, darling. what time will you be back?''

''i'm not sure yet, but i'll make sure to text.''

''okay.'' her mom came to the hall, looking at her for a moment. ''remember we have your dress fitting at 10am.'' 

''i know.'' florence replied, trying not to show how miserable that made her. ''i have to go now so-''

''are you asking gabriella to be your maid of honour?'' 

''i haven't thought about it.''

''well, think about it.'' her mom said. ''we need to know.''

''okay. i have to go now.''

her mom nodded, muttering a goodbye before turning back towards the living room. florence waited for a few moments before leaving, pulling the door shut behind her. she walked down the street until she saw a familiar headlight and then she stopped at the motorcycle. 

she hadn't saw matt in almost two weeks and now, she felt like her heart was going to explode. his hair was messy from wearing his helmet, he was wearing a black sweater with grey sweats and he was looking at florence like she was the only thing he could see.

she felt like she could cry just by looking at him.

''hey.'' he said softly.

his voice. 

just adding to the reasons florence could burst into tears right now. 

''hi.'' she replied in an even softer tone. 

he held out her bike helmet. ''here.''

she took it gently, putting it on before climbing onto the back of his bike. she usually wrapped her arms around his waist, but she thought that might've been awkward. instead, she rested her hands gently on his shoulders.

''what are you doing?'' matt asked.

''i'm holding on.''

he frowned, not liking how her hands felt on his shoulders. actually, he was slowly dying at her touch, but it wasn't how he wanted it. 

''move closer.''

she did so, moving further up the bike. matt brought his arms up, gently grabbing her arms and wrapping them around his own waist. she tensed for a moment, but it wasn't long before she was tightening her grip around him. 

matt sighed in relief as he began driving, instantly feeling calmer at the touch of her arms on his waist. 

--

the two arrived at the hill, matt stopping his bike and trying desperately not to remember that the last time he was here with florence, he had asked her to be his girlfriend. 

the two walked in silence until they were at the edge of the hill, sitting and dangling their legs over the drop as they looked out at the view. 

''thanks for coming.'' matt said.

''that's okay.''

''what did you tell your mom?''

''that i was seeing gabriella.''

''oh.'' he replied before a pause. ''and she believed you?''

she looked at him. ''she knows you broke my heart. why would she think i would meet you?''