Chapter 5

Accalia was more than impressed with the gated community of Bayford. Everything was well taken care of; everything was clean. Furthermore, there wasn't much of a police presence. Bayford was praised for its low crime rate. Accalia really didn't care, as long as they didn't get caught, she would applaud as well. Her priority was the safety of Selene.

Ethan's ability was an impressive one. At that moment, they all were gathered up by the creepy, invisible tentacles and were being chauffeured high enough for the average passerby not to see them. Having a tentacle wrapped around you, it did keep the cold out, though Accalia didn't mind the cold due to her unique ability; it was Selene that couldn't warm herself up. Accalia looked over at Selene, who appeared to just be floating in the air asleep...again.

Selene was getting more and more tired since her escape, and this was becoming more worrisome to Accalia. Ethan was just below her with his hands in his coat pockets looking forward, minding his own business. He didn't have to do any of this, save them, help them, feed them, but he did. She remembered what he had said earlier when she asked him why he was doing it, for another person. A girl. Accalia could only assume since Ethan had stated 'her life.'

She must have been something to him, right? Back in the Institute, you didn't make friends, have relationships, stick your neck out for anyone. You protected yourself from everyone, anyone. Now, her situation and relationship with Selene was a special case. Accalia was thirteen when she was paired with Selene, this sweet little girl, and something insider her bloomed, a motherly instinct. When Selene called her 'mommy' for the first time, Accalia's heart melted. She would do anything for Selene and make sure she was safe.

Back to Ethan.

Was this girl and Ethan in the same boat? Did the Institute put other patients together like Selene and Accalia? It would be reasonable to think that it would be a possibility. Accalia made a small growl at herself and tapped where she felt the tentacle. It pulled her alongside Ethan.

"What's up? You tired of being carried? I can set us down here in just a minute. I think I see a park or something," Ethan said, pointing over a dimly lit spot.

"No, no. I mean, yes, me getting down and walking would be nice, but I wanted to ask you about why you are helping us, specifically, I wanted to ask about the one who you said saved your life. Why did she?"

Ethan kept his face forward, but his eyes lowered, watching the houses go by. Accalia's ears that were in the hat drooped a little, and her stomach twisted. She suddenly regretted asking the question.

"Sorry, forget I said anything."

"Ah, no I just... I can't give you a good enough reason why she did. I know why she picked me. I had the power to get us out and to cause major damage to the facility, but I had no connections with her prior. We weren't friends or anything. When she asked me to come with her and help her escape, something inside of me just said go. So, I did," Ethan said, shrugging his shoulders.

Accalia felt some relief to hear he didn't have any kind of attachment, but she immediately shook it off, feeling her cheeks warm unusually.

"I don't know what happen, but after the explosion, Fate, that was her name, got hit with shrapnel from an angel that decided to detonate prematurely. There was no saving her. She just smiled at me and told me to save another," Ethan continued.

"So, like you're paying it forward or something?"

"Ah, I guess, a little bit."

"A little bit?"

Ethan chuckled. "When I got out and didn't know anything and was scared outta my mind, there was a guy who took me into the homeless camp and took care of me. He got me on my feet."