Chapter 7

Twilight sat out on the balcony of her hotel room sipping out a porcelain coffee mug with a saucer plate. She was tall, built framed, blonde hair, and blue eyes. She wore a white business suit and sunglasses. For two and a half days, there wasn't any news of where the asset was, then came the report of two of her extraction teams being mutilated. She had to see the scene for herself to believe what the report dictated. The carnage was picture perfect and the inhibitor collars were left behind.

A long and deep sigh left her, and she took another sip of her coffee. Twilight didn't care if the asset starved or died. It was going to make her obsolete. Her father didn't see it as what it was, a corrupt, diseased creature that needed to be eradicated, but a new opportunity. The other archangels didn't see it or if they did, they didn't care. Father had plans to clone it and create a new army of archangels. This asset was going to make her obsolete and yet, she was going out of her way to find it.

The sound of porcelain cracked in her hands. Twilight looked down at the saucer, now crumbling in her hands.

On a better note, the report did suggest that patient echo-zero, zero, two, nine-zero, one, five was the culprit in the massacre of the extraction teams. When he escaped, he had left her in an almost unbearable state of repair. Her father almost decided to scrap her for this new asset but was convinced by Dusk to fix Twilight and to send her on the hunt. Though her twin sister, Dusk, had other motives for why she wanted Twilight alive, Twilight had to thank her. Even if it was in her head.

Her primary objective was confirming if Cain was truly here in the city and then serving the just punishment, he was due. The secondary objective was obtaining the asset. Twilight could care less if the child died before she got it back to her father. It would mean that her survival was guaranteed. In fact, she planned on killing the asset and blaming it on Cain. She would have killed Cain if it hadn't been for her father in the first place. If he had signed off on the upgrades for Twilight, she would have been able to...

She took a deep breath. The past couldn't be changed; it was outside her control, but the future. That was in her control to change, and she planned on doing just that. She picked her cup up off the table and walked back into her room.

Sitting at the table typing away was a man in his late twenties, clean shaved, tight haircut, and focused. He was an angel assigned to her for this mission and was loyal to her, not her father. His ambitions were much like hers, upgrading and evolving the angels. Aldo, was his name, knew that if the asset was obtained and allowed to be cloned, he and the angels would be cancelled. He had spent countless hours tracking down where the asset and her guardian might have gone after the botched extraction.

All of the homeless settlements were searched, and nothing was found. The shelters for the homeless were checked as well. Now, he had been combing the video feed from the street cameras trying to find a clue. His eyes were flickering back and forth as he processed data at an incredible speed. Still, it felt too slow for Twilight. There needed to be something. Her father requested an update in an hour and didn't want to have an awkwardly silent report or the judgmental eyes of her father pressed down on her.

"Anything Aldo?"

Aldo had a thick Italian accent when he replied.

"Sorry Ma'am nothing yet."

Secretly, Twilight loved it. Though he was mostly a highly advanced cybernetic human, there were desirable features. The one best feature was Aldo's unyielding pursuit of his mission. He had been at that table since yesterday morning. He was proactive in keeping the extraction team and any other field teams moving seamlessly through the city on the look for the patients. It made Twilight just an overseer.