Lucas

When the subway stops, I notice Maya get off. Where is she going? Then I look at the station. 25 avenue. The stop for school. Right. I must have lost track of time thinking about Maya. I can't help it. She's just so unique. She's brave, yet I can sense fear. Strong, yet I can tell she has some weakness. Edgy, but so kind. It's like she's wearing a mask twenty - four seven. 

As we step out onto the streets, I notice Maya shiver and wrap her little arms around herself to keep warm. Doesn't she have a jacket? I want to give her mine. I really do. But if I did, she wouldn't accept it being who she is. She constantly has to be brave. No one can take care of her. But oh how I wish I could. I would take such good care of her that she wouldn't even need to wear a mask around me. I would be her anything.

When we get to school, Maya heads towards her locker, but stops halfway. As she turns around, I hide behind a trash can. No need for her to think I was following her. She walks off towards history, unaware of my hiding spot as she walks by. I let out my breath I didn't know I was holding and look behind me. I see a poster. It says:

Masquerade ball, November 26. From 8 -12 p.m. Come in your best dress or suit and tie. Masks are required.

I don't why, but I get excited. Maybe. Maybe for this one night, I can finally dance with her. I can tell her I love her. I can't wait! "When is it again?" I ask myself in my mind. November 26. I read. November 26.....that's today! I need to convince Maya to go to the dance! But how? I can't just ask her. She would think I'm crazy and won't go. What if I ask everyone. At lunch. I can subtly tell Farkle, Riley, and Maya about it and say we should all go. But Maya can't know it's me. I just need to think. 

As I think, I see the hallway is empty. I look at my phone. 8:03. Crap! Class started 18 minutes ago!!! Mr. Matthews is going to kill me! Beep beep! My phone vibrates. It's a text from Riley.

"Hey Lucas :) I'm in California for a week because I'm going to...... Disney Land!!! See you next week! Anything you want from Cali?"

"Have fun Riley! Take a picture of Mickey Mouse for me! :)"

"Sure thing! :) Ttyl!"

"Bye :)"

Well that's one friend I can't introduce the dance thing to.... Wait I've got it!!! Plan in action! Now I have to wait until lunch!