Chapter 17

Jin was home for the first few days but then needed to return to work. Settling into a new routine, you and Ben created a schedule that included time studying, some arts and crafts, cooking together, taking small walks in the neighborhood to check out ingredients at the local corner store, and regular naps as his body continued to recover. Jin had identified a tutor who would come to the house every day to work with Ben on his Korean, recognizing that it would likely be difficult for you to teach. That tutor would start the following week which allowed you and Ben time to get in a groove first.

"Y/N, I'd like to have the guys over on Thursday night for dinner and to meet Ben, is that ok?" Jin had missed the last few dinners working late, but you didn't really mind. You and Ben were used to it being just you two for a while now and honestly it was more comfortable when Jin was gone since you felt like an awkward guest in his home.

"Oh yeah, sure. I mean you don't have to ask me, this is your home. But I can go out for the evening, or maybe just stay in my bedroom?"

"You don't have to do that Y/N, I know the guys would be glad to get to know you too. Will you have dinner with us? It might make it easier for Ben too."

You nodded in agreement and then quickly excused yourself to check on Ben who should be asleep by now.

—-------------------

Several nights later, you were just finishing picking up a few last toys when you heard the door open and Jin's voice intermingled with others. Peeking around the corner you offered a short smile and nod before turning back to let Ben know it was time to come out and say hello.

"Y/N, Ben, let me introduce you to some of my friends. I know you've met a few of them already." By now you'd seen Hobi and Taehyung several times during brief visits at the hospital.

You'd also met Namjoon once at the hospital, but it was your first time meeting Yoongi, Jimin, or Jungkook. Each of them bowed politely and gave you kind smiles, telling you it was good to meet you.

Ben immediately grabbed Hobi's hand and dragged him away from the group, insisting that he show him his new room and all of his cool dinosaurs while the rest of the group made themselves comfortable, grabbing drinks or going directly to sit on a couch in the living room.

You really weren't sure what to do so you offered to gather any drinks but Jin insisted you relax and join them. There was an open seat next to Yoongi so you politely sat down, trying to be unobtrusive and avoid interrupting the conversation.

"How are you settling into life in Korea?" Yoongi quickly engaged you.

"It's been pretty good. I lived here as a child since my father was in the military. I do really like the food and I've always thought Korea was a beautiful country."

"I heard that you used to live here. I was surprised when Jin told me you spoke Korean and I can see that it is quite good." Yoongi encouraged you.

"Well, it's not that good, but I can get by. Ben, unfortunately, doesn't really speak any Korean at all so I've started working with him on that and Jin has found him a tutor."

"Jin seems really happy right now, he's been excited to tell us all about Ben and what he's been up to. This has been such a huge shift for all of us, but it's good to see him happy. And I can understand why, Ben seems like a great kid."

You nodded and gave a weak smile in return. "Yeah, Ben is a good kid."

"So how long do you plan to stay in Korea?"

"I'm not sure, I guess as long as Jin wants me to. I'm happy to spend more time with Ben right now."

Yoongi gave a bit of a confused look, "It's really nice of you to help Jin but I thought you were going back to school. You know you don't have to sacrifice that for Jin right? He told us how excited you were to continue your education."

"Oh, well I guess I hadn't really decided to go back to school yet. Maybe there was some confusion when I talked about it with Jin. I'm happy being with Ben and teaching him so I'll stay as long as it makes sense for Jin. At that point maybe I'll think about what to do next. It's going to be a really hard transition saying goodbye to Ben since he was my only family that was left and I've really been totally focused on him for the last few years. But if he's healthy everything will be worth it."

"It must have been hard to decide to have Ben go back to Jin and his family. I'm sure that was a difficult decision for you and for Ben."

"It was," you sighed. "Honestly I haven't even told Ben the whole situation yet because I think it is going to be really hard for him to understand. I would never willingly let him go, but I understood where Jin and his family were coming from and it was the only way."

"The only way?" Yoongi asked, a look of confusion on his face.

"Yeah, I mean for Jin to be the donor to help Ben..." you trailed off quickly realizing that Jin hadn't really told his friends the truth of the matter, that he would only be the donor if you returned Ben to him.

"You know, it doesn't really matter," you quickly tried to change the subject as you saw a deep frown settling on Yoongi's face. "Are you excited about your upcoming releases? Jin told me it's a lot of work to get everything done."

Yoongi simply ignored you and called out to Jin instead, interrupting his conversation with Namjoon. "Hey Jin, did you tell Y/N she had to give up Ben in order for you to do the bone marrow donation that he needed?"

Silence took over the room as everyone looked between Yoongi, Jin, and you with looks ranging from confusion to horror.

"Well, it wasn't quite like that." Jin tried to defend himself. "If Ben came back to me, I mean he really shouldn't have ever left me to begin with. But it did allow us to pay for his medical bills and to let Y/N finish her education and start her new life."

"But did Y/N offer to give you Ben? Or did you tell her she had to?"

Jin looked at the floor, refusing to make eye contact and confirming what Yoongi suspected.

"That is bullshit. Absolute and utter bullshit. I'm leaving." Without another word Yoongi stood up from the couch and stormed out, slamming the door behind him.

Hobi quickly came into the living room with Ben, having heard the shouting from his room. You could tell Ben remained oblivious to what was being said, for the first time utterly thankful that he could not speak any Korean.

"Jin, did I just hear that right? Because if I did that's wrong. And I know you know it."

You were speechless. Should you try to defend Jin? Plead your case to see if Jin's band members would have you convince Jin to give Ben back to you? Everything was so messed up right now.

"Let me take Ben back to his room," you quietly spoke, hopping up and grabbing Ben's hand to guide him back down the hallway and closing the door behind you.

It wasn't hard to hear the shouting from the living room as the boys shared their thoughts about the situation.

"Y/N, what's going on? Why are they so upset?" Ben whispered to you, eyes wide as he heard the shouting.

"It's ok Ben, it isn't about you. It's just that they are having a little disagreement. I'm sure everything will be fine. In the meantime why don't you and I look at one of your coloring books huh? We can work on a nice picture together?"

Eventually the noise quieted down and after a soft knock Jin opened the door to see you and Ben quietly sitting at the small table in his room.

"I'm sorry about that. The guys decided to go home a little early so it's just us for dinner tonight." He gave Ben a tight smile but you could see he looked totally defeated.

"I think I'm going to head to bed early too since we have a busy morning tomorrow. Y/N can you make yourself and Ben dinner?"

"Of course," you offered. "Do you want something too?"

"No thanks," Jin declined. "I think I have a bit of a headache." Then he turned to Ben, "Good night buddy, I hope you sleep well tonight and I'll see you tomorrow yeah?"

"Ok appa," he said without looking up. "I hope you feel better soon."

With a quiet click of the door shutting behind Jin it was just you and Ben again.

"Alright big guy, let's go ahead and find something to eat."