Chapter 18-Bald faced liar

Rosie and Oliver watched from in front of the wall of the middle school as Nancy and Jonathan got in his car.

After the pair had pulled out the parking lot Rosie turned to go back inside. When she turned to see if Oliver was following her, she noticed he was holding a half empty, very crumpled up packet of cigarettes.

He placed one in between his lips before he looked up and saw her staring at him. "Want one?" He offered the cartoon towards her remembering that she had taken one at Steve's party.

"Why not?" She shrugged going to lean on the wall beside him. She took a cigarette from him and placed it between her lips.

She watched as he took a small lighter out his other pocket before he put the carton away. He cupped his hands close to her face as he sparked the lighter to light her cigarette. Rosie couldn't help how her face began to flush as she felt slight butterflies in her stomach from how close their faces were to each other.

Once her cigarette was lit Oliver moved back to stand next to her before lighting his own. Rosie inhaled before she let some smoke out from between her lips. She watched the smoke disappear into the night sky wishing for a small moment she could do that herself.

"What do you think gonna happen?" Oliver asked her, pulling her quickly from her thoughts as she turned to him.

"Honestly?" She asked making Oliver nod in response "I have no clue"

Oliver laughed slightly at her response "That's fair enough. I just hope Nancy is okay" it was no surprise to Rosie that Oliver would be concerned over his sisters safety.

"Don't worry Ollie, Jonathan will look after her" Rosie spoke trying to give him at least some peace of mind. "And Hopper and Joyce are gonna go find Will then all of this will be over"

Oliver looked over at her and smiled. Rosie returned it before she took another puff from her cigarette, Oliver doing the same. 

"It's weird being back here" Rosie commented making Oliver furrow his brows. "At middle school I mean"

"Oh yeah. I was much quieter back then"

"You still are" Rosie said with a grin as Oliver playfully shoved her lightly with his elbow "That's not a bad thing though. Better than you being a loud mouthed jackass"

"What about you during your time here?" Oliver questioned. The pair weren't the best of friends during their time at the middle school but they knew each other. The difference was the Rosie spent most of her time with Steve trying to be popular but never really feeling like it.

"I was trying to be something I wasn't" she admitted looking down at her shoes with slight regret.

"What are you like really?" Oliver asked intrigued to know more about the girl beside him "Don't worry I won't tell anyone. I mean who would I even tell"

"Well I like playing guitar. My dad bought me this blue electric guitar and I've also got his old acoustic one" Rosie's dad had been one of the two people who helped her to learn guitar. "I like reading as well I've got too many books to count at this point"

"What's your favourite?"

"Little women. But I've lost my copy and haven't got round to replacing it yet" She sighed and Oliver vowed to himself  there and then he would get her a new copy.

Both of them had finished their cigarettes by now and were simply looking out onto the clear Hawkins night sky.

Just then Mike came crashing through the doors from the school "Nancy! Jonathan! Oliver! Rosie!" he shouted out not seeing any of them.