Chapter Two: Rumors of Truth

Third Person's Point Of View

In the grand hall, the atmosphere was tense as Aemma, an Aethereon-Lady, approached King Vaeghor seated upon the Aethereal throne, his countenance stern and commanding. Her hands trembled with nervousness, but she squared her shoulders and spoke with determination.

King Vaeghor, his expression stoic and unreadable, raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Speak, Lady Aemma. What is it that you seek?" he commanded in his deep, authoritative voice.

Gathering her courage, Aemma took a deep breath before continuing.

"Your Majesty, I would not take this long, but I am deeply in love with your son, Prince Baeron."

The king is no longer surprised and has no problem with Baeron's charming birds from the trees, the only thing that seems to be a problem for him is about his distant niece, Lady Aemma who is about to be wed, untimely confessed herself to be falling in love with the prince.

"I know my station, your Highest Supremacy, but my heart knows no boundaries. I beg of you, grant me permission to marry him." She confessed, her voice quivering with emotion.

As Aemma's words hung in the air, a collective gasp rippled through the air. The tension in the grand hall seemed to thicken, the weight of the moment pressing down upon them all.

King Vaeghor's expression remained impassive, his gaze unwavering as he regarded the young noblewoman before him. Silence stretched between them, each heartbeat echoing in the cavernous hall as all waited for his response.

For a moment, it seemed as though time itself had halted, the anticipation almost palpable in the air. Then, finally, the king spoke, his voice carrying the weight of centuries of tradition and duty.

As Aemma poured out her heart, King Vaeghor's stern expression darkened with concern. Leaning forward, he studied her intently, weighting her words carefully.

"Lady Aemma, I have never seen you this bold to make such a request. Do you not understand the consequences of such a union?" the king remarked, his voice heavy with authority.

His words hung heavy in the air, a reminder of the complexities of their world and the responsibilities that came with their station. Yet, despite the gravity of his words, there was a hint of sympathy in the king's eyes, a recognition of the power of love to defy even the most entrenched of barriers. The king sighed heavily, the weight of his decision evident in his weary expression.

"Love between an Aethereon and another is forbidden, and you know it, child. Duty and honour reign supreme in the realm. Your union with Prince Baeron would not only threaten its stability but even what your Aetherion-ancestors have done before you." he declared solemnly.

Desperation crept into Aemma's voice as she pleads her case. "Forgive me, Your Majesty for I know the love I feel for the prince has blinded me." she implored.

But King Vaeghor remained steadfast, unmoved by her words.

"Aemma, what have the liberators done to you." The King responded.

"I know, my king.  I do not mean siding with anyone but...I have grown very fond of them. I believe Aetherions should rule independently and bring back the Aethereal sacred mark, your grace, to end this covert oppression against the purity of your bloodline." Aemma replied while looking down.

"It is not oppression. It is a choice of duty and sacrifice. You have a liberator's mind, child. I can't put the blame on you. I always loved those who love my children...but the risks are too great, Lady Aemma. I cannot sanction such a marriage. You must set aside these feelings and honour your duty to your family and your kingdom." he stated firmly.