Chapter 1

Brynleigh Pasternack

Brynleigh took a step back once she saw him pull out the knife. ‘Well, isn’t this a crappy situation.’ She thought, ‘it's just my luck that he has a blade on him.’

“Okay there, buddy, no need to be so hasty. I can explain myself.” She put her hands up before the guard could even open his mouth to tell her to do as such. She had already been in this situation before.

“And just what excuse do you have for badmouthing the king?” The tall gentleman, if he could even be called that, asked her.

Brynleigh stared over at him for a long time, not opening her mouth to answer his question. She was aware that at some point, he would become impatient and walk over to her, and her cover would be ruined. The only thing protecting her identity at that moment was the shade of the night and the buildings in the alleyway, creating a heavy shadow that lay over her worried face.

If she was to be truthful of her thoughts, she wasn’t sure what to say. She couldn’t exactly deny her words. He had already heard her. But she also couldn’t admit fault to her previous statements. Both because they were true and because she had two brothers at home that she couldn’t leave alone.

Her father was constantly sailing merchant ships for work, and her mother had left years ago. She knew she didn’t need to worry about her older brother, Bruce. He had a job and was old enough to support himself. Her younger brother, on the other hand, was too young to take care of himself. She could barely get Badger to clean himself and go to bed at a decent time, she had no doubts he wouldn’t survive the world if she was sent to jail or killed for speaking against the king.

She looked around herself carefully, wondering what to do. A small opening in a tall, wrought gate caught her attention as her eyes flitted around. She could fit through there. She glanced back at the guard, and she knew for a fact that he couldn’t. There it was, another one of her perfect plans.

“Answer me!” She heard him scream before she sprinted away, her cloak billowing behind her like a cape.

“Hey! Hey! Get back here, you wench!” But she never stopped until she reached that gate and shuffled on her side through the tight opening, and then she continued her speed away from the screaming man behind her.

♚♕♚

“Where have you been?” Bruce whisper-yelled at her once she walked into the house, as quiet as a mouse. But still loud enough for her older brother with practically super senses to hear her.

She turned around gingerly and faced her brother’s angry face. Maybe not quite angry, but rather more worried. He had blonde hair, the same shade as hers and blue eyes, also matching. Some people thought they were twins despite the fact that he was two years older than her.

She smiled at him gently, hoping to ease his worry. At least she wasn’t coming home covered in bruises this time around. Maybe it wasn’t the biggest improvement in the world, but it was something.

“I was just hanging out with some friends. What? Am I not allowed to have a social life anymore?” She asked as she moved to hang up her dark red cloak along with her satchel bag near the door.

“Of course you’re allowed to have a social life. When have I ever said that you couldn’t?” He asked.

“Well you just seem to hate all my friends…” She trailed off, knowing that he would be able to finish her thoughts.

“Oh my- I don’t like your friends because someday they are going to get you killed, Brynleigh!” He finally let himself climb up to his full volume.