Chapter 2

(The authors note at the bottom has some important information about this world, specifically about the currency and possible spin-offs I may do in the future.)

Cyrus Anders

'Fuck me gently with a knife all night', Cyrus thought once he saw that checks were being done of the servants quarters. Why did no one ever bother to tell him when these were happening?

It wasn't like he had anything to hide, for the most part. Even if he did, they would've found it no matter what it was or where he hid it. Nonetheless, it was still the principle that he would've liked to have known when guards or knights would be taking their hand and ransaking all of his belongings.

He rushed into the servants chambers to see a group of five knights in his room, which he shared with four others. The five beds stacked carefully against the wall all had their mattresses and sheets torn off as the bedframes were carefully poked at. He fought the urge to roll his eyes at the dramaticness.

Still he felt relieved when he saw that the person that was searching his area appeared to be Jorge Rodriguez. At least not too much of his stuff would be torn apart then, always a silver lining.

Jorge was around six foot four or six foot five with large spanning shoulders and muscles everywhere. He had tannish dark skin along with dark brown eyes. His black hair was curly and typically sat at the top of his head as a large fluff, but ever since he had started training in the Knight Program two years ago when he was sixteen he had kept it in tight braids for convenience.

Most people found him to be quite the intimidating guy with such a large build, but Cyrus was never one to think that. Even before he got his growth spurt and grew up to six foot two. No, even when he was just a tiny little twelve year old, barely making it to four foot nine, he had never found him to be scary in the slightest. Perhaps that was just a lack of self-preservation on his part.

But in all seriousness, he had been best friends with the other man since they were around five or six, maybe a bit younger. They grew up in the same neighborhood and had found immense joy when they were younger in wreaking absolute and utter havoc for all the adults in their lives.

Cyrus's early intelligence and Jorge's wild sense of humor had been all too much of a match for late night tea parties that their parents barely afforded to host. Back in the good old days, as the good old people said.

"¡Jorge! ¿Como estas?" He patted his friend on the back as he came up behind him happily.

Jorge looked over with a bright smile on his face before replying to him, "Como siempre, Señor 'Latido de Corazón'." He said with a silly voice overlaying his regular way of talking to him.

"When are you going to stop making fun of my middle name?" Cyrus laughed at his friend's antics.

"When you tell your parents to give you a different one." He said before looking back at his bed.

He pretended to gasp quietly as he pulled out a book. 'The Newbies In Janes' by Estritor Desconocido. Cyrus quickly brought his hand up to hide the title from the other guards, knowing that they would have a much more catastrophic reaction to seeing it. Maybe he did have one thing to hide.

"My oh my, Cyrus Latido De Corazón Anders...keeping a banned book under your mattress." Jorge smiled at him.

"Could you not? You know how serious this is." Jorge's expression softened with guilt before he placed the book right back where it had, hidden in the very bottom of his worn old bed frame.