Uncertainty in Happiness and Death

Life is Strange

Chapter 3

When I wake up, I will be alive. It's a burden, but I need someone to care for. Someone to care for me. This will be the final time I use my powers.

Max repeated the words she had read over in her head. They were haunting her, making her heart throb every time she recalled the word "final"

Lack of sleep hardly made the situation any better. As Max recalled, she had spent the entire day and most of the night rewinding time while looking down into her notebook, trying to figure out exactly what was going on. It had taken a massive toll on her body and her thought process. She started off curios, wanting to find answers to the questions she kept asking herself.

Do I see the past when I rewind time? The future? If the text in my notebook is actually from the future, then it would make sense why I can't recall any of it, but that still doesn't explain why I experience happenings from the past.

Such questions seemed valid at the time, but after staying awake for 14 hours straight, doing nothing but trying to find answers, other questions seemed to pop into her head.

Am I just going insane? Is this some sort of joke? Do I have amnesia?

It was an odd feeling to have to question one's own sanity. It was a scary feeling.
However, one question seemed more valid than any of the others did. One question that had been in the back of her head through it all.

Will Chloe forgive me?

She was walking down a quiet street in the early noon, with messy hair and clothes that might as well have been made of sewage water. Her shoulders were sore, on account of the backpack she had been walking with the entire time. Max knew she wasn't a pretty sight and she almost wanted everybody to know it at this point. One thing that had brought her on this particular street, was the fact that she knew everybody would look at her with disgust, but the chance that one girl might not. A girl that never did care about such things, never cared about the littler meaningless things... the things that are usually enough to reveal the cracks in a broken soul. No. Max wasn't worried about her looks, about her smell or even about her attitude, because the only one she would pretty-up for, didn't care.

Max had felt helpless during her mind screwing investigation and she had decided to tackle the only problem she could actually do something about. Talk with her blue-haired friend. Talk with Chloe.

Max grabbed her left hand and squeezed it slightly, closed her eyes and began imaging what time could become.

Time could be for us. We could sit around and waste it. We could make the universe so uninterested in us, that it would stop. Just stop and leave us alone. Realize that we don't care about a dumb universe, when we at least have each other. Definitely not a dumb universe that apparently doesn't apply to the laws of physics.

Max looked to her left and saw a house she recognized. She didn't know who lived there, but she had seen the blue-painted house before, with the blossoming lily that was always sitting out on display in the window, soaking up the sunlight.
She knew she was getting close to house of chaos in order. Besides the fact that she had to actually talk to Chloe again, a thought had been bugging her. Something she didn't think about until she was a good mile away from her dorm. Chloe's parents might be home. It was Wednesday, pretty much in the middle of the day, but Max had never really noticed a pattern about her parent's work schedule. Sometimes they were around, sometimes they weren't, and however sad it was to Max, she knew that Chloe didn't know either.