Chapter 1

Are you absolutely certain you won't join us, Pads?" James persisted, his skepticism evident despite Sirius' repeated reassurances.

"Absolutely," Sirius drawled, punctuating his response with a lazy yawn. He lounged in an armchair by the crackling fireplace in the Gryffindor Common Room, his wand twirling idly between his fingers, strands of his dark hair obscuring his eyes. His boredom with the conversation was palpable.

Remus occupied the adjacent armchair, engrossed in some book about the Goblin Wars, while Peter lingered awkwardly nearby, his gaze fixed on his shoes as he nervously fidgeted with his sweater.

James, meanwhile, wrestled with the stubborn lid of his trunk, glancing surreptitiously at his reflection in the windowpane. "It's not too late to-"

"Oh, for Merlin's bloody sake, James," Sirius interjected, flinging a cushion in his direction. "Just go on your 'not-a-honeymoon' with Lily already."

James reddened slightly, but otherwise looked quite pleased with himself. "My mum just insisted she join us for Christmas," he protested weakly.

"Yes, James, we have all heard you go on about it for weeks now," Remus chided, still absorbed in his reading. "But if you don't hurry, you'll miss the train. And stop fussing over Sirius like a wet-eyed woman; he's not the only one staying behind."

"Exactly," Sirius agreed, shooting a mischievous glance at Remus. "I've got Remus, haven't I? We're gonna have soo much fu- mmf!" A cushion had just hit him full in the face.

"Try to act a bit less desperate around Lily," Remus advised, seemingly unfazed. "And write to us."

"Got it," James laughed, giving quick hugs to Sirius (who responded with a wet kiss on the cheek, mimicking someone's aunty) and Remus. "C'mon, Peter, let's go."

Peter waved shyly at the other two and flashed a mousy grin before scurrying after James through the Portrait Hole.

"Finally," Sirius sighed, stretching luxuriously, and settled on the arm of Remus' chair. "Just you and me, Moony."

Remus groaned and swatted at Sirius, mumbling something like "Bugger off, Sirius," before shoving him off the armrest, sending him sprawling on the floor.