CHAPTER 3

"Why are you always buried in books?"

Remus jumped and glanced up to find Sirius looming over him with his face scrunched up in mock disgust. He had been sitting against one of the birch trees beside the Great Lake, surrounded by books and rolls of parchment. It was a relatively warm day — pleasant enough to spend it outdoors.

"Unlike you, some of us prefer to do our homeworks once in a while," Remus retorted, his tone carrying a hint of reproach. "Professor Binns wants a five-foot-long essay on this book when school starts again."

Sirius waved a dismissive hand in the air. "You know what I think of Binns and his essay?" he scoffed, punctuating his statement with an irreverent hand gesture that made Remus gasp.

"Sirius!" Remus chided, though a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

Undeterred, Sirius chuckled and settled himself onto the grass beside Remus, making room amidst the scattered books and parchment. "You're missing out on all the fun, Moony."

"If your idea of 'fun' involves making out with girls I've never even spoken to while being ogled by others, then I'll pass," Remus replied dryly.

Sirius snorted in amusement, but made no further comment.

-

As the afternoon wore on, Remus found himself engrossed in his essay, the words flowing steadily from his quill onto the parchment. It was almost lunch time when he glanced up to find Sirius sprawled out on the grass beside him, fast asleep. His head was propped up on his arms, his eyes closed, his chest rising and falling slowly. A few strands of hair fell across his face, gently playing in the breeze against his cheeks and lips.

Without conscious thought, Remus reached out to gently brush a stray strand of hair away from Sirius's face, tucking it behind his ear. Sirius stirred, his eyes fluttering open to meet Remus's gaze. Remus quickly withdrew his hand, flushing slightly.

"It's getting late," Remus said, his voice betraying none of his earlier embarrassment. "We should head to lunch."

Sirius stretched languidly, a lazy grin spreading across his face. "Sounds like a plan," he agreed, reaching out his arm towards Remus, who had already stood up and was hastily shouldering his bag.

Remus rolled his eyes, grabbed Sirius's arm and pulled him up. He quickly backed away before Sirius could stumble into him.

"Why are you such a big baby?" Remus huffed before striding away towards the castle. Sirius followed, chuckling softly under his breath.