Chapter Four

Skye and Jason left later that night, leaving me with a lipstick smudged t-shirt, an overdue paperback copy of The Antichrist, and rose scented blankets, which I did not bother to make, but instead rolled myself up in them, just like Skye did, and fell asleep in the scent of her.

Suddenly, I was woken up in the middle of the night by my phone ringing on my bedside. I was so drowsy that my eyes refused to stay open for more than two seconds, but overcome with irritation about who could possibly be calling me, I scraped around for my phone and lazily tapped the screen. The first thing I saw was my friend Tyler's goofy (and in the moment, insufferable) profile picture. It was 1:00 o'clock in the morning. Bless me.

I tapped the accept button.

"...Hello? ...Tyler?" I murmured.

"Siiiiiiiilas!" His voice blasted into my ear. "The Silaster, the man of the hour!" He was definitely drunk. I could practically hear the cheap fraternity beer emanating from the phone speaker.

"Dude, please tell me you called for a good reason." I was already so over it.

"A good reason?! Oh. My. God. Silas! I called you for the best reason there literally ever was and ever will be!"

"Yeah, and what would that be?"

"So, I'm at this house party with Pho – Pho, come here, yeah, over here - say hi to Silas!" I heard a jumble of excited drunk yelling from who I believed to be my friend Pho. I couldn't say for sure because he didn't articulate any actual, you know, words.

"So, yeah, we're at this house party with the football team, and we were playing spin the bottle, right?"

Of course they were.

"And it landed on me, right?" I could hear the excitement raise in his voice.

"Uh-huh?"

"Just take a guess who else it landed on."

Oh no, 1:00 AM guessing games. My favorite.

"I'll give you a hint – she's in one of our classes." Tyler added.

I started to list them off.

"Calculus?"

"Cold..."

"History?"

"Cold."

"...biology?"

"Warmer, Si!"

"...goth?"

"Hot, boiling hot!"

I rolled my eyes. "Fishnets?"

"Burning hot, excruciatingly hot, Mount Vesuvius plaster casting people alive-hot! You're right 

on the money dude!"

I rolled onto my side with a disappointed, tired, but mostly disappointed, sigh.

"Is that it?"

"Bro, we literally made out on the sofa. She wears grape flavored lipstick, so kissing her feels like you're drinking some sort of boujee wine. Except you're not, and instead you're making out with this really hot goth chick, which is so much better. Oh! Did I mention she doesn't wear a bra? I know because I put my hand on her-"

"Ty, you get like this with every girl you meet." I tried to explain to him. "You fall in love because they give you the slightest bit of attention. It's honestly starting to get repetitive."