III

"Son of a bitch

"Son of a bitch. That's my deer! Look at it. All gnawed on by this... filthy, disease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!" Daryl shouts, kicking the dead body of the walker between his words.

Kate steps back, knocking into Shane who had moved round before Daryl came out. He placed a gentle hand on her back for her to catch her balance before moving to stand next to her. Dale looks at Daryl, "Calm down son, that's not helping."

Daryl's head shoots up, moving over towards Dale. "What do you know about it, old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to "on golden pond"? He moves back over to the deer, looking over it and into the bite mark the walker had left behind. "I've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison. What do you think? Do you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here? " He asks, ghosting his finger over the outline of the chewed part.

Shane shook his head, which Kate was impeccably glad about. "I would not risk that."

Daryl looks to his feet a defeated sigh coming from him. "That's a damn shame. I got some squirrel... about a dozen or so. That'll have to do." Gesturing to his belt, where a few dead squirrels were hanging. Kate cringed, imagining those little squirrels running around and getting nu- focus.

Getting distracted Kate had only caught the end of what she assumed was the walker head coming back. "Come on, people. What the hell?" Daryl grunted, shooting it with one of his arrows." It's gotta be the brain. Don't y'all know nothing?" He finished, before beginning his stomp back to camp.

"Merle! Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel! Let's stew 'em up."

Shane had managed to keep up with the hunter, calling out to him. "Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you."

"About what?"

Shane cleared his throat. "About Merle. There was a... There was a problem in Atlanta"

"He dead?"

Kate decided to take a small step forward. "We're not sure." she told him, with a slight grimace on her face. She knew if someone had told her they 'weren't sure' if Glenn was alive she'd go crazy.

"He either is or he ain't!" Daryl shouts, stepping towards Kate.

Rick steps up to the archer. "No easy way to say this, so I'll just say it."

"Who are you?" Daryl spits, looking him up and down.

"Rick grimes."

Daryl shakes his head "Rick grimes, you got something you want to tell me?"

"Your brother was a danger to us all, so I handcuffed him on a roof, hooked him to a piece of metal. He's still there."

Kate held her breath, eyes darting between Rick and Daryl, she felt a small hand holding hers and looked down to see Carl, giving his hand a gentle squeeze she looked back to the men.