Chapter 8 - Canteen rush

(click)

As they cautiously traversed the decrepit canteen, the oppressive darkness seemed to swallow their every step. It was not the first time stepping in the darkness had tarnished their sense of security but this canteen boasted of a unique sinister aura. The air was thick with the stench of decay, a foul mixture of rotten food and stagnant moisture. Anirudh's flashlight revealed the grim reality of their surroundings - walls adorned with peeling paint, windows obscured by layers of grime, and tables scattered haphazardly like forgotten relics of a bygone era. The eerie silence was punctuated only by the occasional creaking of old furniture and the unsettling crackling of food crumbs beneath their feet.

"Stay alert, this place gives me the creeps," Ishank muttered, his grip tightening on his Glock.

Akash nodded, his eyes darting nervously around the shadowy corners. "We should have brought more firepower," he whispered.

"We shouldn't have come here, man. This place is cursed," Akash muttered, his voice barely audible over the ominous silence.

"Just keep moving. We'll be out of here soon," Ishank replied, his voice strained with tension.

"We make do with what we have. Let's head upstairs, it might be safer," Anirudh suggested, his voice tinged with unease.

As they reached the first floor, their worst nightmares materialized before their eyes. The once bustling dining area was now a chilling sight - rows of dormant zombies, their pallid skin and lifeless eyes sending shivers down the boys' spines. The dormant army of zombies lay in wait, their pallid faces illuminated by the dim glow of Anirudh's flashlight. Akash's breath hitched as he saw the grotesque figures, their rotting flesh and lifeless eyes staring blankly ahead.

Everyone took a step back in fear of what they saw. Akash tripped and fell as he stepped back but fortunately was caught by Ishank midway during the fall.

"We have to go back, there's no way we can take them on," Akash exclaimed, panic creeping into his voice.

Ishank shook his head, his jaw set in determination. "We need to get out of here, now."

Before they could react, Akash stumbled over a loose floorboard, the loud clatter echoing through the silent canteen like a death knell. The zombies stirred, their movements sluggish yet filled with an insatiable hunger.

"Shit, they're waking up! Run!" Ishank shouted, adrenaline fuelling his every movement.

"Run!" Anirudh shouted, his heart pounding in his chest.

The chase was a frenzied blur of terror and adrenaline. The boys stumbled and fell, their panicked breaths mingling with the guttural moans of the pursuing undead. Bullets flew wildly, some finding their mark and sending splatters of blood and gore into the air while others missed in the chaos. Akash's heart pounded in his chest as he sprinted alongside his friends, the relentless pursuit of the undead only a few steps behind. 

"We can't keep this up! They're gaining on us!" Anirudh yelled, his voice tinged with fear.

Akash felt a searing pain shoot through his leg, a sharp cry escaping his lips as he stumbled, blood staining the floor beneath him. His leg was cut open from the side of the calves, blood flowing out like a steam of water out of his leg to the ground which marked their path of escape. Although, at this point of time, Akash felt nothing but just adrenaline pumping through his veins which allowed him to rush as the zombies closed the distance. The horde was huge, they ran and tripped over causing a huge collapsing wave of zombies that slowed them down for a while. The zombies running from the back came and tripped over along with the others forming a mountain of undead lying and trying to get up but getting pushed back down by other zombies eventually stopping a large part of horde momentarily. This gave a moment of introspection to the group. Ishank and Anirudh rushed to Akash's side, their faces etched with concern. Akash collapsed to the ground, the pain finally got to him which caused him to shout aggressively.