Chapter One

The sun bounced off the rocky interior of the Prairie Runner's camp, giving everything a warm glow. Cats navigated around the camp, greeting their friends and going to eat with their mates. The chief, Creeksun, walked with purpose towards the Hare Statue. Quick as a raging river, the powerful leader was atop the pile of rocks, looking down and nodding to cats who passed by. Creeksun was very well respected. So was his daughter, Hareshine. She was currently having a battle with her friend Hawkdrag.

"I think they're in love." Petal piped up suddenly, interrupting Stream's imaginative narration. Or, his mind narration, because he wasn't talking. Dust gagged beside her, "Love is stupid." That prompted a glare from the black and white she-kit. "Hawkdrag is too cool for her. Hareshine should lay off, she already knows I'm his best friend." Dust explained while wearing a proud look, putting his paw to his chest as he spoke, likely to give himself flare.

Stream and Petal rolled their eyes, looking back at the cats who walked through the clearing. This was a fun way for the three friends to pass the time. The nursery was pretty peaceful and had a good, secretive vantage point where they could spy on anyone. Dust, who was not happy because they ignored him, continued to speak.

"It's so obvious, he doesn't even like her! They never go hunting together, they never talk to each other at ceremonies, and they don't even look at each other when talking half the time!" Petal huffed at this, sitting up. "Do you ever stop to think maybe it's because they're in different rankings?" Dust shrunk down at her words, huffing. "They are both busy and have different duties. They are in love; they just can't show it because they don't spend too much time together."

Stream blinked at her response. Petal was always very good at defending herself, both physically and when making a proper point. If Stream had to guess, it was because she was older and was much more mature. After all, she was a gatherer and had much time to observe how to speak properly and respectfully. They were the lowest rank in the groups and had to provide strong arguments if they wanted to rise to popularity.

The two friends continued to bicker back and forth, their yowling getting progressively louder. Stream was disinterested regardless. He wasn't one for messy squabbles. That was much more Dust's thing: To be loud. Stream was quiet. Whenever he asked his dad, Crowcall, if that was a bad thing, he always answered the same...

"You've always been the phlegmatic type. Don't worry about it right now."

Stream couldn't always help but worry about everything.

He had to look up when his two friends started wrestling, yowling, and rolling around like stupid mice. Stream stared at them, unimpressed with their behavior. The gray tom-kit didn't want to be here anymore. He began to slowly back away, slipping out of the nursery when the two were faced the other direction.

Stream observed the way his clanmates moved around the camp. He could see two cats sitting by the entrance to the camp. Both looked relatively bored, despite sitting up straight and rigid. His father, Rockscrape, had told him that it was the most boring job as a fighter. His father always told many stories about his duties around camp. They never got old.

Speaking of stories, Crowcall had a couple of good stories as well.

"It was the dawn of the day I was supposed to have my ceremony." Crowcall spoke, his voice more expressive than usual, "Everyone in camp was woken up by Mossyecho. She found a crow on top of the prey pile. It was the ancestors. They had destined me to become a hunter. Then we held my ceremony." Crowcall sat up with a sigh, "I wish it was someone else who had the omen, maybe Creeksun."

Stream had never understood the bitterness directed at Mossyecho. She was his grandmother, the most important cat in the group! Cats were supposed to have respect for both elders and the Teller, so why did nobody ever respect her? The bias was unjustified and unfair. It always made Stream upset.