The Unveiling

The recording continued as Sarah and Mark's voices grew louder, their words becoming more venomous with each passing moment. Sarah's heart raced as she listened to the playback, a mix of fear and determination flooding her senses.

But then, amidst the shouting and accusations, Sarah heard something that sent shivers down her spine—a sound she couldn't quite place at first. It was faint, almost imperceptible, but unmistakably chilling.

Footsteps.

Sarah's breath caught in her throat as she realized the horrifying truth. The recording hadn't captured just their argument—it had captured something far more sinister. Someone else was in the apartment, moving closer, their footsteps echoing ominously in the background.

Frantically, Sarah glanced around the room, her eyes wide with terror. Mark's expression changed from anger to confusion as he noticed her sudden shift in demeanor.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern.

But Sarah couldn't respond. All she could do was stare at the phone on the table, the recording still capturing every moment, every sound. And then, before she could comprehend what was happening, the footsteps grew louder, closer, until they were right behind her.