Chapter 23

She showered. She shaved with one of Haseena's pink razors. In the mirror above the bathroom sink, she didn't look quite as frightening as she had before the long sleep. The dark rings under her eyes had lightened and the sockets weren't as deep.

But she was no Princess Charming. Her hospital pallor emphasized the discoloration on her cheekbone. And when was the last time she'd had a groomed herself? "Screw it," she said to her reflection as she left the bathroom.

Haseena was in the kitchen. She glanced over her shoulder when Karishma walked in, "You found your duffel bag?"

"Yeah, thanks," Haseena had placed it at the foot of the bed so she would have a change of clothes

"How do you feel?"

"Better. Thanks. For everything. Except for the shot. My butt's sore"

"I'm sure you're thirsty. Help yourself to anything in the fridge," Haseena was dredging boneless chicken breasts in seasoned breading and placing them in a Pyrex dish

Karishma took a carton of orange juice from the refrigerator, shook it, and twisted off the cap, "Okay to drink from the carton?"

"Not in this house"

"I used your toothbrush"

"I have extras"

"Why am I not surprised?"

"Glasses are in the cabinet just behind you"

The juice tasted good. She drained the glass and refilled it, "What did you do with the bobcat?"

"Called the exterminator. He came out and picked him up. He congratulated me"

"You provided a valuable community service"

Haseena gazed into near space for a moment, "It didn't feel like that. It felt like killing," She washed her hands, moved to the oven and turned it on, then went to the vegetable sink and picked up a chopping knife. She used it to gesture toward a cell phone lying on the counter, "It's rung several times"

"Jeez, I don't even remember where I last had it"

"It was in your car"

"Where's my car?"

"In the garage out back"

Karishma looked through the window and spotted the building. It was a smaller version of the barn. The double doors were closed, "How'd you manage to get it here?"

"I rode Zed over, carrying the fuel can. Then I tied him to the tailgate and drove back slowly"

"It would have been easier if you'd waited on me to go with you"

"I didn't think you wanted anyone to know you were here"

Karishma studied her for a moment, "That's not quite accurate, is it, Haseena?"

She stopped slicing tomatoes and looked across at her.

"You didn't want anyone to know I was here"

Haseena returned to her task, "Do you like tomatoes in your salad?"

"Haseena"

"Some people don't"

"Haseena"

She dropped the knife and confronted Karishma, "What?"

"It was only a kiss," Karishma said softly

"Let's not make a big deal of it, all right?"

"I'm not, you are. You're the one who went tearing out of the bedroom like it had caught fire"