Chapter 25

Santosh answered on the first ring. Karishma told her they had decided to go along with her plan

"Dr. Malik is okay with it?"

"No," Karishma said, "No more than I am. It's predictable and Roy would have to be a moron to fall for it"

"But no one has a better idea"

"I do. Arm me to the toe and let me hunt down the bastard and blow him away"

"That plan could sorely affect your quality of life in the future"

"Which is the only reason I'm agreeing to this one. Haseena is of the same mind. It's not an ideal strategy, but it's the only one we've got going. On the plus side, it smacks Roy right where it'll hurt most, in his ego"

"That's why it just might work"

"What did you and Cheeta decide?"

"The girls went. Cheeta stayed"

Karishma smiled into the phone, "Good for Cheeta"

"Yeah, well... Listen up. By the time you get to your place in Goa, there'll be men watching it around the clock. Don't look for them. You won't see them. I hope not, anyway"

"Will you be coming down?"

"Would you invite your best buddy to a lovefest with your new squeeze?"

"I don't know. How kinky are we gonna get?"

"Karu"

"Sorry. I got it," If Roy spotted Santosh, he would know it was a setup.

"I'll be in touch by phone 'round the clock," Santosh continued, "Keep your eyes open and check in often. If you hear a dog sneeze, I want to know about it"

"Are you sure? 'Cause if they have a cold-"

"Will you stop messing around? This isn't funny"

"I know. All joking aside," And she meant it.

"Roy's gone underground, Karu. You know what usually happens when he disappears for a few days"

"A body turns up"

"I don't like it"

"Neither do I. However, I don't think he could find us this soon"

"But it's possible. I've got people all over town talking up your affair with the surgeon who saved your life. Word has probably reached him that you and Dr Malik are a hot item"

"Oh, he'll turn up. I'm sure of that," she hadn't told Santosh or Haseena about the red flag she'd waved in Roy's face in the form of a nursery rhyme. Roy wouldn't be able to resist the dare.

Karishma signed off with Santosh and then went outside to take a look around. She walked the perimeter of the house, around the barn and garage, and checked inside both. Nothing seemed to be amiss. When she came back in, she and Haseena checked all the windows and doors to be certain they were locked. Haseena wasn't worked up, but she had the good sense to be cautious.

"Who would have thought my job as an expert doctor for opinion in a case would result in this?"

"You didn't know the defendant was going to develop a crush on you"

"That word implies an innocent, almost childlike infatuation. This is far beyond that. This is . . ."

When she seemed at a loss for the right word, Karishma summed it up, "Roy"