Chapter Ten

2916

After a good nap, Maekawa took a walk around the nearby farm-lands, to take his mind off things.

The killing of Kaiju was hard work, and really tiring.

Maekawa wished he could just destroy them all with the click of a button.

It was only fifteen years when his hometown was destroyed by Kaiju number 159, the longest lasting Kaiju, which was eventually killed by Maekawa himself.

Deeply drowned in his thoughts, Maekawa noticed a giant warehouse, which wasn't there a few months ago, the last time he had gone on this walk.

Maekawa walked towards it, strangely enough not being hindered by any fences or walls.

The giant door was widely opened, and as Maekawa walked in, he could feel the hot energy radiating from one of the corners of the warehouse.

He looked around, picked up an old wooden crossbow and improvised some arrows using sticks for protection.

Maekawa walked towards the giant pile in the corner, holding the crossbow firmly in front of him.

Then he slipped on an oil stream coming from the pile, falling on a button.

The pile started to move in all weird directions, and soon, a giant robot of at least 10 meters erected from it.

Maekawa felt his sweat building up, recognizing this robot type, even though he had never seen it.

This was the 40-2, made for the JAKF to go head-to-head Japan from giant-type Kaiju.

It had probably been powered down and stored here after a newer and stronger robot was released, the new 41-0.

"Systems online."

Maekawa saw it crouch and reach his arm to the ground, with a ladder attached.

"Human Driver Requested." It said.

Maekawa never knew these robots were normally controlled by humans.

Maekawa reached for the ladder, but it moved up, making him miss it.

When he saw what is was doing though, he couldn't help himself but to like this robot.

The arm reached up to the roof, picked two remotely activated bombs from the ceiling and bust through the roof, throwing them away.

Then it went back to crouching with his arm and ladder pointed to Maekawa.

He looked at the robot in awe.

He then succeeded in grabbing the ladder and started climbing it to the head of the robot, into the cockpit.

What he saw before him were a bunch of buttons and levers, but it was mapped out in a very logical way.

In the midst of all of that though, there was a hologram of the robot's head, which began talking, "Sir, thank you for awakening me once again, what is our new mission?"

Maekawa was stunned.

He never knew this type robot could talk.

He just said, "Uh, there is no mission yet, and I activated you on accident to be honest."

The robot didn't hesitate to respond, "I see, do you want me to deactivate?"

"Nonononono," Maekawa said, "first, what are some of your 'abilities' so to say? And what should I call you, bot?"

The robot responded emotionless, "I can sense the rising of Kaiju, and change my hands into weapons like different types of swords, firearms and protective shields. Also I do not have a name, because no user before you gave me one."

Maekawa now felt bad for this robot, it has been used as a weapon rather than an ally.

"I'll just call you 402, that okay with you?" Maekawa said.

"Okay, sir." 402 said.

Maekawa shook his head, "Uh, don't call me sir, call me Maekawa or Mae for short."

"Okay, Maekawa." 402 said.

Maekawa knew he couldn't take him to his apartment, but he couldn't leave him here either.

He then realized there were rumors about a big hut in the woods, where he might be able to live with 402.

And that's where they headed, Maekawa driving 402, while 402 explained his inner workings.