chapter 2 | the football hottie

J O S H ' S   P O V

"We all want a teenage fantasy. want it when we can't have it."

"Asher, that's the last bottle!" I yell at him.

Being the only sober one at the football house was always a pain in the arse. I had an exam tomorrow and these twats were drinking or should I say, Asher. I went into the living room where Miles, our kicker, was watching some show about detectives. He takes his major seriously, thinking it would be just like in the shows. Sitting next to him, he hands me a beer, "You know you need it. Besides it's just a beer and it's the only one you won't get drunk that fast." He was right.

"How's school?" he asks, pausing the show.

"It's alright. My advisor has been pushing me into enrolling to the early medical program, but I want to play football all four years," I tell him. Football has always been a part of my life, but I knew it wasn't something I wanted to do forever. "Besides, I want to graduate with my closest friends."

He gives me these puppy eyes, "Oh Joshy if you love me just say that" he jumps on me giving me a hug but I push him off, "I will cherish this moment forever." Before any of us could've said anything there was a loud smash from the kitchen.

Fucking Asher.

Everyone ran into the kitchen to see him throwing the bottle on the floor, "Yo man you need to cut it off with the alcohol. This was our last bottle, none of us have bought any." Miles tells him walking away texting someone.

I help Asher grab him by the shoulder to his room,"Are you going to give me a lecture, cousin." He slurs.

Opening his door, "What did your father tell you?" I ask him knowing damn well it may be his father's doing to trigger this. He falls on the bed closing his eyes, "Asher, wake up."

"I'm awake, fuck. I'm not drunk yet." He sighs sitting up on his bed, "He closed the deal with Oracle Enterprise and keeps begging for me to work with him but how the fuck am I going to switch majors now. I'm in junior year only one more year and off to medical school with you by my side." Asher is my cousin. He was older by two months only, but we were raised as brothers and we never left each other's side. But when my uncle found out that his only son would study medicine and not take over the family business — he was pissed off. "Why can't Zane take over the company? He loved him more than he ever did to me, and he isn't even his own son."

Our fathers were brothers, but they didn't have the same relationship Asher and I had. They hated each other but for the sake of our grandparents they tolerated each other.

I sat next to him, "Then do it." He gives me a look, "You're already halfway there, Ash. There's no turning back and besides you don't give a damn about your father so why start now."

He stopped praising his father the minute he sat foot in high school.

Running my hand through my hair, I've been mentally frustrated at myself. It was only eleven at night and there was a mess in the kitchen. I needed to be the role model as the quarterback. Heading downstairs to clean it up there were a few of the guys in the living room fighting to use the television — god these sophomores.

Some of the older players — the same year as me were in the lounge drinking. The freshman players weren't able to live with us as it was tradition for them to dorm and get the college experience.