Tw: Violence.

I don't own Star Wars.

Just my original characters and the plot of this story.

Howzer's grip on his helmet was tight, as if it would make up for the lack of control he had in his life.

He kept his expression blank as he stared at the wall. He tried not to listen to the conversation, but it was difficult to ignore.

"I told you, I'm trying!" Cham Syndulla snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose. "The farmers will be taken care of! I just need some time to figure it out!"

The farmer looked to Syndulla with pleading eyes. "Please! We need water for the crops!"

"I'm trying," Syndulla assured her, letting out a heavy sigh. "The drought is difficult to manage. Plenty of people need water."

"How will we have food if the crops dry up?" The farmer demanded. "We will starve!"

"Give me time," Syndulla said. He walked around his desk to place a hand on her shoulder. "Give me time to work on this."

The farmer stiffly nodded her head before exiting, glaring at Howzer. "The Empire could give us water. But they won't."

"The Empire is here to keep the peace, not to intervene." Syndulla pressed the button to open the door. "I'll get back to you soon."

Howzer's fingers flexed against his helmet. 

"Captain." Syndulla crossed his hands behind his back, staring out his office window. "Has the Empire mentioned anything about the water situation?"

Howzer shook his head. "The last I heard, they wanted to make sure you were completely allied with them before they sent resources."

Syndulla hung his head. "That's what I thought." He glanced at Howzer's face, taking in the bags under his eyes. "I'd like you to go to the outskirts of the city. There's been some fights breaking out there over water."

Howzer nodded. "Yes, sir."

Syndulla showed a hint of a smile. "Hera says hello."

"Tell her I say hello as well," Howzer said, perking up. That girl had always been nice to him. Perhaps one of his only 'friends'.

"She'll be glad to hear it." Syndulla drummed his fingers on his desk. "Captain, get some rest. It will do you some good."

"Yes, sir," Howzer agreed, although he knew he wouldn't have the time. Things were too busy, with protests against the Empire, and the drought.

"Stop!" Howzer desperately shouted, holding out his arms. He was immediately shoved aside, and the screaming and fighting continued. "Stop this!"

He was pushed again out of the way, and stumbled out of the crowd. He blinked back tears. Why was his job so difficult? He was supposed to deal with this, but no one would listen to him.

He shook his head before pushing his way to the middle, yelling for them to stop fighting.

The other clones tried as well, and no one wanted to take out their blasters. They were just being thrown around in the group.

Eventually the fighting died down, and a couple injured Twi'leks were taken to get medical treatment. The other clones resume their previous tasks, and Howzer slumped against a wall.

A small child ran up to him, giving him a grin. He flashed a couple a missing teeth. "Hey, mister. I got lost. Can you help me? I heard you help us."

And suddenly everything was worth struggling for.