3

Tw: Alcohol.

"I'm so sorry to ask this of you, but could you please take these down to the school?" Cham Syndulla held out a crate of wood. "I was going to do it myself, but... I have urgent matters to attend to."

"Of course. Where's the school?" Howzer accepted the crate.

So he was given orders of where to go. He followed the instructions and ended up in front of the school, holding the crate in his arms.

"Howzer!" Tine screamed, hurrying over.

There were children of all ages playing and running around the rundown building that was the school. Most of them seemed to be fairly young, but they all seemed to get along.

"Can I help you?" Leila asked, walking over.

"Howzer's here, Ms. Carson!" Tine excitedly told her.

Leila smiled kindly at him. "I can see that. Why don't you go play before your outside break is over?"

Tine obediently nodded before scurrying away, leaving them alone.

"What's this?" Leila questioned, inspecting the crate.

"Just a bunch of wood, I think," Howzer replied, peering into it. He offered it to Leila. "You want to carry it?"

Leila took it from him, propping it up with her hip. "Ah, these are the supplies to fix the school."

"Looks like it needs a lot more than just a couple planks," Howzer remarked. He was afraid that a strong breeze would knock the school over.

"The Empire promised to help us. I'm sure they will soon." Leila gave him a pointed look. She sighed and walked into the building, motioning for him to follow. "Supplies are limited right now."

"How many classes are here?" Howzer wondered as she opened the door to her classroom.

"Three. We have to put certain age groups together. I teach the youngest ones." Leila placed the crate on her desk and wiped her hands on her pants. "I'll probably stay overtime to patch up some holes in the walls."

"How?" Howzer questioned. "Do you have a drill or something?"

"I was thinking I'd just... stick the planks in the holes," Leila admitted.

Howzer gave her a skeptical look. "You really think that's gonna be good enough?"

"I don't suppose you know how to fix a building?" Leila challenged, raised an eyebrow.

"As a matter of fact," Howzer grinned, "I know quite a bit. I had to help build some houses when the war was just finishing. I'm in no way a professional construction worker, but I think I can patch a few small holes."

Leila thrust the crate into his chest, forcing him to catch it before it fell. "Great. I'll take you to the 'small holes' that you need to fix." 

And so Howzer was led to a gaping hole that took up an entire side of the school. He glanced between it and the small planks several times before shaking his head.

"I can't do this. There's not enough supplies to patch it up!" Howzer held up one of the wood scraps to the school before letting it drop out of his grip.

Leila rolled up her sleeves. "Fine. Give up if you want, but I won't."

Howzer's jaw tensed. "I don't give up."

"Sounds like you did." Leila narrowed her eyes at him and flicked his chest. "You gave up."

Howzer grabbed her hand. "I don't give up." His voice was lined with warning.