Chapter 15

It's the final race of the season. After Hungary, Baku, São Paulo, Singapore ,Spain and Qatar I've been on a pure continuation of my 1st place finishing streak and I don't plan to change that in Abu Dhabi.

Things have been a little tense between me and Max, but I can't help but think he's got wind of my comments about Kelly and when I said "we've never been friends" it's not untrue but we did have an inkling of a friendship when I first came to F1 but I think it has sort of died down.

The sound of the tires screeching against the runway snap me out of my thoughts and I'm brought back to reality. Looking out of the window the bright sun of Abu Dhabi bares down upon us. My eyes automatically squint as I leave the aeroplane, being blinded by the sun is not what I need.

Me and Charles reconvene as he was sitting with Pierre and I was with Yuki. "Ready for the last race of the season?" he asks. "More than ready, I'm so tired" I reply. This season has been great and I couldn't have asked for better but I'm exhausted. It's been so demanding and the thought of leaving Mercedes has been dawning on me more and more each race.

Abu Dhabi is one of my favourite tracks and the fans always seem to be especially excited on the last race of the season.

"Hey M/N" George calls out, I turn to face him "Toto called a meeting at 2 PM" I thank him and turn back around and sigh, we've only been here 2 minutes and already I have a meeting to go to.

I don't really get much of a chance to settle in before I'm heading to the paddock. The pre-race paddock is quiet, peaceful and tranquil. It makes me wish it was like this all the time, no media and no people.

It's quite easy to navigate the paddock, and I walk into Toto's conference room and see that both Toto and George are already there. I take the empty seat next to George.

Toto waits a few seconds before speaking "It's the last race of the season and it's race week, obviously we didn't have a break between Qatar and now so we can't change much but we are in a great position anyway so I don't think that's much of a problem. You are both doing really well so I just want to say keep doing what you have been doing and it will all be good".

He goes on for a lot longer than necessary and then hands over to the engineers and strategists who gives us all a brief overview of everything that will happen this week.

Given it's Wednesday and race day is Saturday we don't have much free time to do much or train.

Wandering around the paddock towards the exit things have got a little bit busier with loads of shipments and equipment arriving.

Thankfully our hotel isn't far and I just end up cycling back and arrive to find all the other drivers either playing Paddle or in the Gym which doesn't surprise me they are all creatures of habit.

Instead of joining in, I head up to my room to finish unpacking. Pulling everything out of my suitcase I hang things up in the closet, I hear my phone vibrating against the mahogany wood and immediately ditch unpacking.

I answer it seeing that the caller ID is my Mum, "Hey, is everything alright? Are you ok?" I say frantically, "calm yourself, I'm fine. I thought I would just call and wish you luck in your final race week as a rookie and to let you know I will be watching you become World Champion", we talk for ages but time flies by and before I know it, I look out the window and see the sun setting behind the gargantuan buildings that overshadow our small hotel.

I try to locate Charles and find him in the games room with Lando and Alex playing some random farm simulator game. I think it was called 'goat simulator' or something like that, all I know is Charles kept on headbutting things. I come behind him and place my hand on his shoulder which causes him to jump a little.