Chapter 18

The famous poet Oscar Auliq-Ice once said "Things don't always go as planned, but it's when you make a plan out of the unplanned and make the best of the unlikely things In life."

I guess that's how I would describe the trajectory of my life, nothing ever goes to plan, as a child I used to wonder what my life would be like when I grew up and I would draw photos of what I envisaged. A house, with a dog, a regular 9-5 job, lots of friends and all my family together. But growing up I have realised life isn't a destination you can just plan a journey to there is always going to alterations and things that change the way things work out.

Stepping into Formula 1 I never imagined I would be the first openly gay driver, the first gay world Champion in F1, the first rookie World Champion since the sport started.

Marrying the most kind, thoughtful, intelligent and selfless man I have ever met.

Moving away from the country I called home for so long leaving behind my family to start a new life.

None of this was part of my life plan but it goes to show you don't need to enter life with a preconceived idea, you just need to live in the moment and take whatever life throws at you and make the best of it with a positive outlook because at the end of the day we are human and we are merely guests on planet earth not immortal inhabitants.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the final race of the formula 1 season for this year, Aston Martin have had a strong neck hold on the championship standings M/N Leclerc is top of the standings for the second year running and no matter what the result today he will be the World Champion he is 29 points ahead of his teammate Lance Stroll who is in P2. Now we will head down to the paddock where the drivers are gearing up for the season finale here in Monaco".

Reporter: M/N it's been a great season for you, you have a 29 point lead so no matter who wins today you are the World Champion how does that feel?

M/N: It feels great, you know the team has worked so hard this year and I don't think we could have done anything more and I think that our performance has been really strong.

Reporter: So we saw the team have added a 4 year extension to your contract. Are you planning on staying at Aston Martin for your entire career?

M/N: At this moment in time Aston Martin is where I feel most comfortable, I really like having Lance as a teammate and I think the team has a great camaraderie.

Reporter: Lastly before we let you go, you and Charles announced you are in the process of adopting a child, would you want him or her to follow in both of your footsteps?

M/N: Of course we will give him or her the opportunity to go into karting and let them decide if they like racing or not, we aren't going to force them to do anything they don't enjoy.

Walking away from the reporter I go over to my car which is surrounded by engineers who provide me with a few last words of encouragement.

"Fucking smash it".

I lift my legs over the halo and slide into my seat, this season has been great not just for me, Lance has won a few races and so has Charles which has been great for their self esteem but the same can't be said for their egos which received a much to big of a boost.

I am sitting in pole position for the final time this year, and the anticipation around Monaco intensifies.

"5 lights out and away we go, Leclerc gets a great start and leads going into turn 1 Lance Stroll is fighting off Charles Leclerc for P2 it's neck and neck as they go into turn 3 but Stroll just manages to get ahead."

Monaco has always been the place which holds the most memories and I have learnt to call it home, leaving behind Italy very prematurely and relocating to the dazzling streets of Monte Carlo felt appropriate, and me and Chalres decided Monaco is the place that is best to raise a child, that too was not part of my life plan, up until about a year ago I couldn't look after myself let alone another human being.