Delicate Bones

We make no conversation as we walk, but the silence feels comforting. I know that soon the rumble of male voices will pollute my ears for hours. I'm sure something about this private walk could scandalize me, entertaining a man usually only within the shadows. Would members of court recognize him, or has he only broken the darkness for me?

Rounding the large dining hall, Morelin leans against the open archway with collected calm. I smile, feeling so suddenly happy seeing him again. Our rare meetings ensure secrecy and no suspicion. I worry for him greatly between sightings, knowing he is engaging in affairs that would likely probe my nerves. He returns my smile, propelling himself towards me from the doorway. He quickly flashes his eyes to Terran as if asking about his presence. I soften my eyes in a silent plea of ignore him.

"Hardin," I say gently, turning towards a stiffened Terran. His eyes are locked onto Morelin, and I pat his arm to prevent him from further assessments. Morelin is the only person in my life that I will not allow Terran to ascertain for weaknesses.

He looks down at me, understanding finally that the false name I bestowed upon him was to calm the older gentlemen now occupying my attention. With his guard's uniform, I can easily pass him off as an escorting Guard if he plays along.

"Please excuse us, I believe Morelin is to escort me outside." I use my sweetest voice to relay a message to each man. To Terran that this is not the time to fight back with me and he is being forcefully dismissed. To Morelin, that this man is just a Guard and to not consider him anything otherwise.

Terran bows at the waist and I almost laugh, the forced motion a stark contrast to all our other encounters. I nod silently, giving him a polite smile. He moves towards the garden, but I know he will slip away unnoticed instead.

"You know I cannot escort you anywhere, Allie." Morelin jabs at me, mocking himself for his removed title. With Ervan at the helm, all other advisors have been dismissed and stripped of rights within the castle. Him escorting me would almost be worse than Terran.

I smile at him, my old friend, and take in his appearance. He is wrapped in finery, to calm me from worrying about his accounts, no doubt. The lapels of his jacket display three gold clasps, each displaying a different battle fought beside my father. His left hand remains within his trouser pocket as his right hangs loosely from the chain his watch resides on. I nod, our established code telling me all I need to know.

Tonight, Finnigan's harbor, deck three. Our weapons have arrived.

"Good luck," he says to me, smiling beneath greying facial hair.

I scoff, hearing servants moving down the hall. "My choices have not failed me yet."

As Morelin leaves me, I choose to peer through a window towards the garden instead of rushing out. Shade currently falls upon the tall, clear pane, making it difficult for anyone outside to see my judgmental looks. If I am to outsmart these men, my observations will be crucial.

There is no formal introduction today. The thrones have not been moved to the smaller dais outside and the space is filled with musicians instead, same as present yesterday. Food and beverages are laid out elegantly along tables on the far reaches of the garden. Long red adornments hand from the sides of the table and flower arrangements jut from the top, a feeble attempt to bring life into the still barren garden. The flowers come from a greenhouse not far from the palace wall- dutifully taken care of by a favorite Lady of my mother just for events like these.

A lone violin plays a lilting tune as the men converse, already holding glasses of sparkling champagne or amber whiskey. From my viewpoint just inside the threshold I can see tentative alliances being made between men. Where one might have expected neighboring state Lords to be familiar with one another, instead they have formed groups with men across the continent. Lord of the mines conducts himself with my favorite dance partner of yesterday, Lord Neisman. Thinking of the sea makes me smile to myself, though I doubt I would see it, even if I did choose him.