Another Assignment

I knew the sun would be unwelcome in the morning, but I had hoped Hollie would bring food and gossip to distract my mind. She would usually prattle on about the other servants and the rumors flying around the castle, interesting but unimportant enough to be an easy avoidance tactic. We would laugh like we were children again, her sneaking the forbidden library books for us to read together. The stories of handsome princes and true love were always our favorites, and we'd spend hours planning dream weddings to men that only live in fantasy.

Today as my curtains were pushed aside to reveal the blinding sun I awoke, sitting up with a smile. I knew wedding planning would need to commence immediately, and I thought better than to burden Hollie with my internal battles.

Instead, Terran stood at the foot of my bed with a matching smile, gazing down at my likely discombobulated form. His white shirt is undone at the top, showing off his freckled collarbone. The sleeves are puffy, like pastries freshly baked, clasping closely at the wrist to ensure minimal deflation. The pants he wears are solid black, no adornments or frills. His shirt is tucked diligently into his pants, allowing the massiveness of his form to be fully visible. In his hands rests a tray with steam rising from it.

"Good morning, Princess." He walks around and places the tray on my lap. I smile awkwardly and try to smooth my hair with my hands, covered in sweat from yet another nightmare I can't recall. With the tray firmly placed on my lap, he backs away to revel the rest of my windows. Fresh fruit and tea gleam up at me.

"Before you start asking your questions," he says playfully, seating himself beside me on the bed. His lower back presses into the outside of my thigh, but I choose to ignore it. "Hollie is a very important part of wedding planning, I was told. You will have someone else here tomorrow, but for today, you're on your own." He smiles, reaching over me to steal a ruby red strawberry. I swat at his hand and scoot the plate father from him.

"What are my obligations today?" I manage to break out through a mouthful of melon. No matter the event, I will be plainer than usual. I could not dare attempt one of the elaborate hairstyles Hollie insists upon. I can only hope it does not include my mother's court vipers, who would undoubtedly note the change.

"Tea with your betrothed to start," he says, winking at me. I give a sarcastic smile. "Then something private with The Queen in the afternoon. Her Majesty did not elaborate."

It should not shock me that he has private meetings with my mother. He is still in service to her and likely reports to her daily. Still, it feels ridiculously petty for her to require a mouthpiece for her demands instead of talking to me directly. I sigh, sipping the tea. I almost spit it back into the cup, scrunching my entire face in disgust at the taste.

"Oh, yes." He says, humor in his words. He stands, mockingly bowing to me. I laugh at the ridiculous dramatics and he peers up at me from the bow to smile.

"I am Terran Juiliano. I am to be your protector and guard this week while many visitors enter the castle." He rights himself, then cringes. "Also, you're meant to drink that tea multiple times daily for the entire week. Queen's orders."

"Well," I start, placing the cup gently down onto the tray. "I will not. She made me drink this when I was younger, when she thought I was getting 'boyish'." I scoff, pushing the tray onto the empty bed beside me.

Terran furrows his brow, glaring at the tea I have decided will remain untouched. "What's in it?"

I smile at him, feeling at ease. Something about his assignment to escort me everywhere caused a shrill of excitement down my spine. This week we will not be bumping into each other in darkened hallways. No, we will get to spend days at each other's sides. Court garbage included.