11

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jack sat in the locker room, tying up his skates for their morning practice.

" Zegras would never let that slide", he heard from just outside the locker room door.

" I never said I was gonna ask him for permission. I'm sure Jade can make her own decisions".

He immediately recognized the voice as Andrew, a guy that was two years older than him on the team. Jacks face scrunched at his words. Andrew was three years older than Jade, he stayed another year to play on the team even though he technically graduated last year.

" Whatever, bro. Good luck with that".

Jack stepped back as the door opened, the two walking in. He sent them a nod, quickly heading out to the ice.

Alex sat on the bench, waiting for Jack so they could be partners for the drill.

" You look like you've seen a ghost", Alex laughed.

Jack shook his head, " Andrew was just talking to one of the guys, saying he was gonna try and go for Jade?".

" Andrew? He's three years older than her", the dark haired boy said in a weird tone, " That's gross. We should tell Trevor".

" No! No, don't tell Z", Jack quickly said, " If he tries anything with Jade I'll tell him then. He might not be serious. We don't want it to be awkward with players".

Alex just nodded, accompanying Jack onto the ice. The Hughes boy couldn't get the idea out of his head. Jade wouldn't go for Andrew, right? She has higher standards than guys that say back in high school to play a sport. Maybe she didn't, he had no idea.

Jack decided to ignore it, focusing on their practice and keeping a mental note to talk to Jade today at school.

" Hey, Jack", The blonde smiled as she stood at her locker. Jack smiled, looking behind him. " Looking for someone?".

" Uh, no. Why?".

She shrugged, " What's up with you. You're acting weird".

Jack scoffed, " Yeah, sorry. Anyway, you're coming to the Halloween party tomorrow right?".

" I don't know, I'm not really feeling it", Jade shrugged.

" What! No, you have to come", Jack begged, " Tell me what I need to do to make you come. Please, Jade?".

Jade laughed, " Okay relax, I'm probably gonna go. No need to get so upset".

Jack nodded, " You're the only person I actually like hanging out with when parties happen. So, you have to come".

" I'll be there, don't worry".