1~Sophie's POV

I sit at the sleek kitchen table in my and my mother's modern home amongst the skyscrapers and flying cars. Floor-to-ceiling windows let the light filter in. The kitchen is filled with a variety of chrome, glass, and blue and white hues. It looks almost clinical, yet comforting.

My mother, Ashlyn, walks through the kitchen carrying a silver teapot to the table where I'm sitting. Two porcelain, antique teacups sit before me with shiny glaze covering delicate, hand-painted flowers. "Tea?" my mother offers, holding up the teapot.

I look up from my book. "Sure, what kind?" I grab my little makeshift bookmark so I can set my book down and grab the tea.

She pours the steaming hot water into both of our cups before setting it down on the table and grabbing the chrome tea box. She places it on the sleek blue table, opening the lid to reveal a variety of teas. "Your choice." She grabs one for herself, raspberry tea, and tears open the package, placing it in her cup.

I take a raspberry tea and let the bag steep in my glossy, white teacup. "Thanks, Mom."

Watching the steam rise from both of their teacups, Mom smiles. "You're welcome." She runs a thumb over the handle of her teacup, absentmindedly thinking.

I watch as she stares at the antique tea cups, admiring them and how they contrast against the high-modern furnishings of our home. I partly wonder if she's thinking about my father and how he used to love antiques as much as we do. "Mom?"

My voice draws her attention. "Hmm?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah. I was just thinking."

"I figured by your far-off stare. What were you thinking about?"

"I was thinking about how I'm glad your grandparents enjoy passing down antiques. They are so hard to come by nowadays. Speaking of your grandparents...they want us to visit tomorrow."

I swallow the rest of my sip of tea. "Really? How long is the drive again?"

"About an hour. Why?" She asks.

I can see she's wondering if I have something planned I hadn't told her about.

"Do you have to go meet up with some friends? Homework?"

I blush intensely. "It's nothing."

She laughs slightly. "Now, I'm curious. What is it? Remember, we don't lie to each other."

I'm even more embarrassed now. "I swear, it's nothing, mom."

"If it was nothing, your face wouldn't be red like a tomato."

"It isn't red. I think you need to get your eyes checked." I smirk at her.

She blinks a few times, takes her glasses off, and looks at them. They're clean, but just in case, she cleans them with her fabric napkin.) "Very well, just don't lie to me."

"Well... ah never mind, it's really nothing," I say while emphasizing the "really".

Curiosity gets the best of her, much like our next-door cat. "If you want to tell me I'll listen. But if not, tell me when you're ready." She takes another sip of her tea as she waits patiently.

"Okay, so never." I look away uncomfortably.

"Remember, no judgment, just guidance and support. But it's up to you what you want and when you want to tell me."

"Okay okay..." I shift in my seat. "I may or may not be seeing someone..." I whisper, just loud enough to be heard.

She lifts a manicured eyebrow as she lowers her teacup. "Do I know this person?"