𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾

We shuffled around for a few minutes. I tried to concentrate on little things, like the crepe-paper streamers and the punch bowl—anything but the fact that Annabeth was taller than me, and my hands were sweaty and probably gross, and I kept stepping on her toes.

"What were you saying earlier?" I asked. "Are you having trouble at school or something?"

She pursed her lips. "It's not that. It's my dad."

"Uh-oh." I knew Annabeth had a rocky relationship with her father. "I thought it was getting better with you two. Is it your stepmom again?"

"Is everything alright?" The sudden concern of Athena shocked Annabeth before she smiled and nodded her head it was fine now.

Annabeth sighed. "He decided to move. Just when I was getting settled in New York, he took this stupid new job researching for a World War I book. In San Francisco!'

She said this the same way she might say Fields of Punishment or Hades's gym shorts.

"Excuse me?" Hades said a bit insulted.

"So he wants you to move out there with him?" I asked.

"To the other side of the country," she said miserably. "And half-bloods can't live in San Francisco. He should know that."

"What? Why not?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. Maybe she thought I was kidding. "You know. It's right there!'

"Sorry I she thought you knew." Annabeth looked a bit sheepish.

Poseidon sighed, "what do you get taught at the camp?"

Annabeth shared an uneasy glance with her fellow demigods pointing at Apollo, "He made the ordination video."

"Ah yes that wasn't shown to Hope." Chiron says looking apologetic.

"Oh," I said. Swallowing the lump in my throat I had a feeling this could be important. I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, but I didn't want to sound stupid.

"So... you'll go back to living at camp or what?"

"It's more serious than that, Hope. I... I probably should tell you something."

Suddenly she froze. "They're gone."

"What?"

I followed her gaze. The bleachers. The two half-blood kids, Bianca and Nico, were no longer there. The door next to the bleachers was wide open. Dr. Thorn was nowhere in sight.

Hades looked down right annoyed as he snapped, "So there you are talking about building whilst my children are in danger."

"It's fine dad." Nico says knowing Annabeth had sacrificed herself for them.

"We have to get Thalia and Grover!" Annabeth looked around frantically. "Oh, where'd they dance off to? Come on!"

"No!" Hades spat out, "You have to save my children."

Nico knew if Hope was here she say she wouldn't do anything she didn't want to and would tolerate him talking about Annabeth that way espically given what happens next.

She ran through the crowd. I was about to follow when a mob of girls got in my way. I manoeuvred around them to avoid getting the ribbon-and-lipstick treatment, and by the time I was free, Annabeth had disappeared. I turned a full circle, looking for her or Thalia and Grover. Instead, I saw something that chilled my blood.