5 Pivotal Point

Nate bleated, nervously tugging tremendously at his collar.

He's not one to be remorseful or pivoted for making ill-mannered jokes but right now he's sweating up a storm. He tried to cover it by leaning forward, hands clapped together and looking as calmly as possible. His mind was working overtime, concocting every possible angle to get out of this arrangement, because as far as he was concerned, he had tanked it and now he was forced to stare at his potential future father-in-law in the cold, vapid and judgemental eyes.
He could use the loo or toilet?

Neither of those ever fell to fruition because he noticed Theo tapping one of his claws on the table, his arm resting his chin, elbow on the table. This was the most off-the-clock Nate had seen him in. And something tells him it wasn't just his core intuition.

"What's taking them so long?" Theo growled, his face scrunched up like a piece of paper. "It's been 43 minutes!"
"Tell me about it," Nate chimed in, contemptuous. "How many cooks does it take to order a meal? They've probably got everyone but a pastor in there!"

"You have no idea. This is why I hate coming to these things - these repulsive restaurants. Always run at the speed of molasses. There's nothing here I can't replicate in the comfort of my own home for free. Accept for rude stuff, loud people and it being time-consuming."
"And tedious," Theo added.
"And they get your orders wrong," Nate said. "Sort of like going to cinemas. A badly written review is in order."
"Exactly!" Theo exclaimed. "I'm glad somebody gets it! Fast food is the way to go. Or simply ordering food straight to your door. We don't need these unnecessary gatherings with stupid social interactions. People are the worst. The inconsiderate, putrid and infantile worst."

"You know, I can't just stand people I-" Nate said, "- tolerate most and only like some!" The two said at the same time. Once they did, they laughed, having a radical riot.

"You're not so different you and I."
Theo commented, smiling widely.

"What can I say? I'm a man of taste! I never had to justify anything. I like what I like."
"True words to go by." Theo grinned. "So tell me about yourself."

"Well, I'm a newspaper boy who gets up at the crack of dawn to deliver top-notch quality news to the people during my spare time. Yes sir, from the moment the rooster crows I'm out the door, knowing that I get to meet so many friendly faces because it isn't for the money. I've been doing it for five years and love every second of it." Nate bragged, doing what he does best.

Theo nodded approvingly. His face brightened.
"I see you're a hardworking, committed and loyal man. No wonder my daughter likes you."

"Well, I love the fact that you're willing to put the people they care about first before themselves. Anyone who's like that is fit to be my little girl."

Nate smiled contently. He unconsciously slouched.
"Well, did you also know that I saved our school from a rampaging bully?"
"You did, did you?"
"Effortlessly."
"You think you can do that to my scumbag boss? She's a serpent. Literally."
Nate slouched back concededly. "Nothing I can't handle."
"It's funny. For a minute there I thought you were some incompetent, foolish and lazy twit."
Nate stiffened a little all while Theo continued.
"You know, the one that talks a big game but plays little ball. Or your case, no ball at all if you know what I mean."
Nate's cheeks were warm. He knew exactly what he was talking about. He frowned.

"Like I don't imagine a goat like you can puncture a ball that brutally," Theo said.
"I'm a ram." Nate corrected. Now it was the hamster's turn to wince. An awkward silence followed as the rodent was forced to reflect.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know-"
"I get it. It's a common misconception. Water under the bridge. Life is too short for grudges, something Damain is going to learn the hard way."
"Who's Damain?"
"The bully I talked about. Me and Kaleb whooped his butt."