PROLOGUE

Why did they even do it?

What could they possibly be gaining from the mass destruction they caused from behind a screen?

Power?

Money?

No.

Money was a deplorable concept in such times, and power. Only those things have power right now.

Now we were all trapped inside the hellish walls that stood proudly around the city.

Waiting, watching, hiding and all but praying for this to be nothing but one big nightmare.

But how could it be? It was all too real, all too...familiar.

Every minor detail exactly how it was in reality that it ruled out the possibility of this being nothing but a dream almost as quickly as the idea appeared.

The only thing that could save us now was us.

Abandoning any ounce of pity and regret that stand as the building blocks for basic human emotions and fend for ourselves.

That's what they wanted after all. The strong minded and physically able were to rise to the top of the human food chain they created while the rest who fell short of the criteria, were left behind.

The infection. Oh how that thing spread. One minute everyone was hearing they had it under control, the next? The streets were plagued by them, every security camera you had access to from around the city you once loved, those creatures, everywhere.

How could you not feel regret after knowing your father, the man who had played a huge part in creating this rapidly spreading illness, was still alive and breathing, hiding behind the safe structure of the underground lab facility to which he moved you into only a week ago for your own safety.

Would these metal doors be enough?

Did you even want them to be enough?