CHAPTER 4

𝐌𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠
(𝐯.) 𝐒𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐞.

) 𝐒𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐞

It was cold and dark.

The exact same two words you would use to describe the personality of the person leading you down the hallway of floor 3.
It seemed ironic really. The very hallway you never bothered to check was the very same one that housed the door that led to floor 2 and above.

The only reason you knew you were still on track was the quiet sound of clothes brushing together about a metre or so in front of you.

You were perplexed as to how he had his bearings while in complete and utter darkness. But then that brought you onto your second point.

He had probably walked it enough times to know where he was going blindfolded.

Your muscles were barely cooperating. Your heartbeat, loud and persistent in your ears.

You were struggling from the serious lack of under stimulation that the darkness provided you with, but at the same time, your mind was in overload.

You wanted to run, just like before. Everything in you screamed at you to do so, but you couldn't. You were too far in just to say you were giving up now.

Your fingertips were cold from tracing over the wall of the hallway, no bumps or imperfections meeting the pads of your hands.
It was strange.

This hallway never seemed so endless until right now.

The silence was deadly. It was the very same silence that brought back every detail of the repetitive nightmare you were plagued by.

And that's when you felt it. When your right index finger briefly brushed over something.

Something so horribly out of place in such a perfect structure such as this.

In imperfection in the wall. But not just an imperfection. It was a handle.

You stilled briefly. Not enough to draw attention to yourself, but enough for you to retrace your fingers along the gap and scorch the feeling into your mind.

Your head turned to the front, the barely visible shadow of the young man in front of you meeting your struggling gaze.
You had made it to the end of the hallway. The painfully bright light above you, revealing your figure.

You were dressed in the usual attire for everyone around here. So was he.

Black trousers and a white blouse.

Though him with a tie and a lab coat.

Both signified things you had grown to hate.

Formality and scientists.